Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Whitefish 2017
[#0000ff]Every year seems to be a bit different for the Bonneville whitefish run on Bear Lake. The fish always show up...somewhere...and can be caught if you can brave the weather, find the fish and use the right lures and techniques.

Had an email conversation this past week with BFTer BearLakeFishGuy...who happens to be a DWR guy on Bear Lake. If anyone qualifies as an authority on those everlovin' whities it is BLFG. His opening remarks were that Bear Lake is at a higher water level right now than he has ever seen at this time of year.

How will that affect fishing for the whities? First of all, they will be spawning in areas that may have been high and dry last year...and completely absent from spots that were gangbusters in other years with lower water. We are going to have to use the "biblical system"...seek and ye shall find...maybe. See the two attached pics of Second Point...2014 vs 2017...to see how this year's high water has brought the lake level much closer to the road and flooding some shoreline brush from last year.

Another observation from BLFG is that conditions have been cooler this year. That resulted in the mack spawn starting about a week earlier. That could mean that the whities may come in sooner.

I will be joining BLFG (in his boat) right after Turkey Day to begin some R & D on this year's whitefish run...where they show up, etc. I also plan to make at least a couple of attacks in my float tube this year. Mama Nature didn't play nice last year.

I am attaching a copy of the writeup I put together a couple of years ago...with maps, tackle suggestions, techniques, etc. Hope to be able to add a few new things this year...like how to catch them with fligs.

[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Pat I felt bad I didn't get to finish that conversation we were having about the whitefish last night, but I think I'm tracking with what you were suggesting and I really like that idea. Sure sounds like it would work to me. Hope to get to try it this year. Thanks Pat for all the help on these guys they sure are fun and a great eat. Not to mention the non target trout we usually catch. Fun trip. Later J
[signature]
I haven't even tried it again, since the time a few years ago when I met you up there when we got skunked. Might be nice to give it another go.
[signature]
TD, you're willing me brother. You're killing me. What size and color FLIG? Also, what size hook did you use on your mini fligs?
[signature]

Hi Pat , I never got to go try for the Whitefish last year . I am going to give it a try this year and use those fantastic jigs I got from you. I'm going to be retired the end of this year so things are going to get better for me to go fishing.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Size 2 Matzuo sickle hook on both.

Here is a quick pic I just shot of the colors I plan to try for the whities. They are mostly the same as the ones that work best on the little Roadrunner jigs I use. The real test will be getting the hangershot sinker rigged just right. Needs to be heavy enough to cast and maintain feel...but light enough to reduce snagging. It has worked well for me in other rocky bottom situations. The other thing that is going to require experimentation is getting the length of leader between sinker and flig just right. Gotta keep it close to the bottom...but not so close to the sinker that it spooks the fish.

[inline "WHITIE FLIGS.JPG"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Retirement gives you more time to go fishing...theoretically. But it's amazing how many other things pop up to demand your time...at least if you have a wife and family. Most of us who have retired begin to wonder how we ever got anything done during the years we worked.

Hope the fish and Mama Nature both play nice this year.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I'm looking forward to the whitefish run almost like a kid waiting for Christmas! My uncle (local deputy) and I will be hitting the lake as often as our jobs and schedules will allow. I'm actually looking forward to finding the whities in the new higher water......I have a few ideas!

When I get them figured out I will post general productive areas and zones on here so others can get in on it, but I won't be giving away any hotspots! The one thing that eveyone needs to remember when fishing for these things is if you are a foot off of the bottom then you are at least 6" too high.

Mike
[signature]
Think I've tried it multiple times each year since that first trip, like to say that is the only time I ever got skunked, but I'd be lying... Between weather and not being able to find the fish, I've missed several times, but I have actually did okay a few times too... Keep hoping to pick up the masters twitch, but no matter how long I watch Mike I haven't been able to duplicate it... guess I better start trying the vertical presentation and then see if I can figure out the casted one... I do like Pat's flig idea with the drop shots that he has worked out.. I'll probably try both this year... Lots of fun I plan on being back again this year... Hope to see ya there... Later J
[signature]
[#0000FF]Lucky you...living right there and being able to hit Bear Lake without a long drive...often over a snow covered winding road. Your years of successful whitie-whacking has helped you develop your skills. Anything you can "download" to the masses will be greatly appreciated.

It will be interesting to see how much the high water situation influences where the whities show.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hey Mike hope Santa brings you smooth water for whitefish run. I'm thinking I'll do the boat this year, my toon is getting in pretty Sad condition and I don't want to take a swim there this late in the year. Hope you don't mind if I keep trying to copy your technique? Tied up a couple poles tonight for the occasion. Hope they'll work see you in a couple weeks, unless I make a trout run first. Later J
[signature]
Old idea about bringing the boat Jeff. You'll be able to spend better (and not as chilly) time and cover more distance if needed.

I'll keep an eye out on water conditions, road, ramp and local weather conditions for you guys and post regularly once they start. If you come over, give me a call and I'll be more than happy to either go with or help in any way I can depending on work schedules.

Mike
[signature]
I think the boat also stands up to a little more breeze too, pretty nervous in the toon when the wind came up and started blowing me out to open water. Glad the motor didn't give me problems that trip. Thanks for the kind offers and I'll check in when I head that direction. Later J
[signature]