Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Repair
Mod’s I know this is the wrong section for this, but I wanted a little exposure before you move it

Anybody know a good boat repair shop? 2007 Yamaha 60hr outboard. It’s a fuel problem. Just can’t figure it out.

Been dealing with A-Rock for the last few months on it. Had it in their shop 3 times and every time we took it out it left us stranded and need to be towed in. Took it back to them this last time and dropped it off. They let it sit for over two weeks now. I guess the guy who waited until the last minute to get his boat winterized is more of a priority than the guy who’s spent a lot of money (twice now)and still didn’t get it fixed right.
[signature]
Jones marine in Payson is great.
[signature]
There is only one boat repair shop that a lot of us will go to, that's Lee's marina, in Hyrum: http://leesmarinesvc.com/

He is out of the way for those in SLC or South but he is the best shop in Northern Utah and well worth the drive. Lee will treat you right and he runs the most honest marina around, IMO, and there are plenty of members that will tell you the same thing. Click on the link above, get his number and give him a call, it is worth the call and if he can work on your motor, go to him, you won't regret it. Plus he is very close to the lake, so you can test it out before you take it home, if you do it before ice up.
Good luck.
[signature]
I agree that Lee's is one of the best but don't forget about Don's Marine in Smithfield.. either one of these will treat you right and back each other up. what is it about northern Utah that has the two best repair shops for boats in the state.. I take mine to them without fail knowing that it'll get their attention and be fixed as soon as possible.. thanks Lee and Don for keeping me afloat !!!!
[signature]
I drive from West Jordan to Lee's Marine in Hyrum. Never sorry. They are great. Fixed right.
[signature]
Lee’s or Don’s are great choices. Yamaha’s can be very touchy when it comes down to fuel issues. I’ve worked on several in years past and know from experience, but I don’t work on boats anymore. Out of curiosity, what’s been done so far?
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
Thanks for the report. I'll make some calls Monday

[quote boat_guy] Out of curiosity, what’s been done so far?[/quote]

Had this boat 7 years and never had a problem. I lost the fuel pump in July. And ever since then we get 20min - 5hrs run time on the lake. I can run it wide open up and down the lake, go from cove to cove fishing no problem. Then outta no where it starts starving for fuel and dies. Let it sit for a minute and it will start up and go a couple 100yrds and die again. And eventually won't start at all. Let it sit for a day and it's fine. I can go out right now hook the hose up and it will fire right up and idle for 15min no problem.
[signature]
Do either one of the places listed above work on electric trolling motors. My i-pilot is not working correctly. I took it to Backwater Perfomance (a listed Minn Kota repair shop for Salt Lake) and he couldn't fix it.
[signature]
Is there an audible alarm or perhaps it's disabled?

That would be associated with the engine controller shutting down the engine to protect it from not having oil in the fuel mixture. It will shut down the engine regardless of an alarm being disconnected.

One possibility for the delay yet full power capabilities when it does go after sufficient delays is the low oil reservoir shutdown. On the side of the engine there is a tiny secondary oil reservoir. Upon engine shut down, remove the cowling and look at the translucent plastic to see if the oil level is down. If so, then the engine fuel and oil mix controller can't get the oil for the proper mix, so the engine is shut down. Later as the oil pump from the large reservoir pumps oil up to that tiny reservoir, you can start and go again until that tiny amount of oil is gone. You might check the tiny oil filter. If it's not restricted, then a very hard to diagnose cause can be an intermittently available electric power to that oil pump which you wouldn't easily notice because the reservoir will quickly fill even with intermittent electrical connection. I found a severed wire inside a factory covered bundle with the wire ends touching most of the time yet unreliably. This was after it was plagued with this intermittent issue for many attempts at oil filter changes (don't buy new ones -- they rinse out, but observe if there is contamination), replacing the oil with new oil and all sorts of searching for most common causes.

Mechanics will go after the most common causes and rightly so, since they are the most common. But, sometimes the causes of problems are so rare experience doesn't help. If you make some observations, then perhaps I can lead you to finding the source of the problem with some of my diagnostic strategies.

I have ways to detect and locate intermittent connections that I will share. But, that might be a moot point, so first see if you find it is not one of the more common problems.

Save some money and make those easy observations yourself and report what you find and the next step might be clear or something I can tell you.

Perhaps that would lead to an inexpensive solution that you can do yourself. Then you will have more money for fishing trips and fuel!
[signature]
Ian it the EFI model or carburetor model?
[signature]
4 stroke EFI
[signature]
Have you checked to see if there is vapor lock situation on the fuel tank? My friend had some of those mud wasps get in and plug off his vent tube.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Since that model is very sensitive when it comes to fuel delivery issues, make sure fuel is getting to the bowl float. Sounds like either a bowl float or vapor lock issue. Without seeing it, it’s hard to know for sure, but have that checked.
[signature]

[quote a_bow_nut]Have you checked to see if there is vapor lock situation on the fuel tank? My friend had some of those mud wasps get in and plug off his vent tube.[/quote]

We did check that. I even ran it on a portable tank to eliminate any tank issues

Thanks

[quote boat_guy]Since that model is very sensitive when it comes to fuel delivery issues, make sure fuel is getting to the bowl float. Sounds like either a bowl float or vapor lock issue. Without seeing it, it’s hard to know for sure, but have that checked.[/quote]

That's where I'm checking next. I was unaware of the VST on these motors. A recent PM from a board member brought it to my attention. It's a bit if a tear down but I'll look into.

Thanks for the help!
[signature]
It sounds to me like you may have a problem with your replacement fuel pump. Usually when I had a fuel pump go out it is just dead no more run, but I had one on a fuel injected engine that would get hot or weak and act just like a vapor lock on a old carberated truck engine running good then sputter lose fuel die. Let it rest and you could run for awhile and die again then stranded until it sat-cooled down. It would pressure test good at the shop. Finally hooked a tester up and ran it pressure good until it acted up and you could see it lose pressure as the engine died. Put a new fuel pump in fixed the problem. Maybe you could be seeing a problem like that one.
[signature]
Long shot but maybe it is the float. I didn't know efi engines even had floats until mine died and left me on the trolling motor for hours getting back to a ramp. It is a electrical/mechanical item. At least on my 2011 made Merc 115.

I think it is an item that can be intermittent. The first time I had a problem and the motor died it started right back up and never happened again for over a year. Exact same circumstance on how it died but this time It wouldn't start/run again for more than a couple minutes. of course I was over 10 miles from any marina and in a area of Lake Mead that there is no cell coverage. Spent hours and hours on the trolling motor that day...

When it was troubleshot and replaced at Bass Pro they mentioned they had been replacing lots of them lately. That was about a year ago or so.

What one looks like in a Mercury:

[Image: 8M6000359.jpg]

Tom
[signature]
Thanks for all the replies I appreciate it.

I pulled apart the VST everything looks fine, float appears to be working filter is clean, and very little settlement if any, gas was good no water mixed in.

Probably just going to bite the bullet and buy new fuel pumps.it has both manual and electric see if that's the problem.
[signature]