Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard...whatta day! 11-14-17
[#0000FF]Willard was plan B today. FatBiker and I had planned to hit Pineview but were kinda turned off by the "variable" weather forecrash. So we met up at the north marina at Willard and launched about 7:30. Air temp was a mild 41. Water temp was a cool 47 and bounced back and forth over 47 all day.

We had brief sessions of rain a couple of times but not enough to get soaked. And the wind kept changing speed and directions to keep us poor old guys working hard with our fins. It always seemed to blow from the direction we were trying to kick...until we got there. Then it would reverse.

Lots fewer shad visible either on the surface or on sonar today. A few clumps here and there but nothing close to what it has been. Quite a few terns and gulls uptimistically flying around...waiting for whatever...but they didn't make many splashes on shadlets. Needless to say...no boils. Although there were bubbles breaking on the surface that could have been fish burps...or???

FB and I both tried a variety of lures, baits and presentations. However, as with my last trip to the area the hot ticket proved to be a fire tiger finish mini flig...decorated with a small left-handed and blue-eyed minnow.

Larry and I each scored 3 cats. No walleyes and no wipers. But I did manage to finesse a porky 13 inch perch as we were coming back in and I saw some "interesting" marks on sonar. I missed two hits before I finally got a good hookset on the one and only perch of the day.

Then the fun began. The ramp was covered with the slickest algae you can imagine. I made it to the dry ramp without performing my coveted "triple klutz". Larry wasn't so lucky. After getting everything almost up on the ramp, he kicked his feet skyward and did a beautiful butt flop. Scored 9.3. However, he managed to push his tube back into the water and it was promptly claimed by the building offshore breezes. Amazing how much wind a float tube can catch and how fast it scoots across a deserted harbor.

Been there, done that before. Carefully got back in my tube and hooked up the electric motor to the battery again. Threw a rooster tail all the way across the harbor to run down and attach a rope to the errant tube. Larry was properly grateful and humbled. We both laughed.

But when I went up to get my vehicle to stow my gear for the ride home...I wasn't laughing. It wouldn't start. Plenty of juice in the battery and the starter motor worked fine. But somehow it was not getting any fuel. Never had any real mechanical problems with the little white beast...but today it had me inventing some new fishing words.

Had to get a tow to Salt Lake. Won't know how much my fun day on the water will cost me until my mechanic completes his diagnosis tomorrow.

Man. Ya cain't beat fun.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Very nice perch Tube Dude...
[signature]
Looks like a decent day. Nice perch. Wish I could find then through the ice.
[signature]
Thanks for the report and pics, Pat. It's always good to put some meat on the table.

And you say I'm a die-hard.[Wink]

I had my ride do the same thing to me a while back. It was the electric fuel pump.

I hope the mechanic can get you back on the road right away, there are a lot more fish to catch before things freeze up.[Smile]
[signature]
Least you caught some kitties. Fuel pump.
[signature]
Pat, time spent with you is always time well spent. The pictures looked a little grim, but other than a little wind the weather was pleasant. Got to get me some of them left handed blue eyed minnows. The right handed ones just don't work as good. Water temps 48 degrees so we might have until Christmas before we hang the tubes in the barn. Thanks again for running down my errant tube.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad we could get out on the water again...after your wing surgery. Also glad we kept the stinky striped kitty away.

It was a fun trip...except for the parts that weren't fun. Just makes you appreciate the good trips where everything goes right...and gives us something to laugh about in the future...from our padded cells.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hey Pat thanks for the report. I'd add my vote for fuel pump as well. GM has crappy expensive ones to replace. Just did one last summer myself. Rubber hammer beating the fuel tank near the pump will get ya home without a wrecker, however, won't fix the problem without a new pump. Sorry for that problem, but nice fish. Later J
[signature]
"And you say I'm a die-hard."

[#0000FF]Ahhh yes. Brings to mind the old schoolyard retort whenever someone called us a name..."Takes one to know one." Or..."I know you are, but what am I?"

I should be the last to call anyone a float tubing die-hard. I got lotsa pictures of ice-breaking expeditions.
[/#0000FF] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=45183"]FINE FINISH[/url]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=108941"]OPEN WATER LAUNCH.[/url]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=68058"]BROKEN TRAIL.[/url]
[signature]
nice to see that there is perch out there Pat.
I went out last sunday. Was going to take the old blue tubetoon. had it all loaded in the truck the night before. Guess someone wanted a battery cause when I got there it was no longer in the truck. anyways wasn't much in the mood to row over to eagle beach. so just tried it from shore. The hot bait that day was one of your blue flake fligs tipped with nightcrawer. Sad to say I snagged a bush or something out there and lost it.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
[#0000FF]Sorry about the lost battery. Some people will steal anything. I once had someone remove the battery from my car while I was out night fishing. It was a long walk to a telephone to get help...but I fed the mosquitos well.

Also sorry about your lost flig. I know a guy who makes them. Maybe if you let the south guys win the catfish thing this year you might get some more fligs.

You really gotta try some of those smaller size fire tiger ones. Been killin' 'em on it. Plus that was what I got the perch on too...and had a couple of other "perchy" bites.

FatBiker and I are semi planning a return bout next week. Lemme know if you wanna join us and I can fix you up with some new goodies. And if you want to focus on perchkind you don't have to row too far.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Humm was going to put up the tubetoon for the season , but I think if I put on a few more socks to keep my little piggies warm.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I noticed you doing the "tuber stomp"...to restore feeling in your cold feet. Used to be pretty good at that myself.

I have been using [url "https://www.heatholders.com/products/mens-original-socks"]HEAT HOLDER[/url] socks for about the last three years and am able to fish comfortably right up to hard deck time. Only takes one pair...if you use waders with neoprene foot pockets. But as I recall you were wearing uninsulated boots. Might take one more layer on the coldest trips.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for another fine report and those pictures. It makes me feel like getting out there and trying it. But, if I read your reports and look at your pictures it is almost as much fun and not nearly so cold or far away. Just kidding, but it is really nice to read your reports when I can't get away.

Keep up the good work!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks for the kindly comments. Glad you like the reports. You know the only reason I go fishing is so that I can put up an entertaining report for you. Yeah, right.

Are you all settled into your new environment?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
We are settled enough to be functional, i.e. not tripping over boxes and sometimes we can find important things like dishes and car keys (and I know where "most" of my tackle is).

I even "thought" about hooking up the boat and going somewhere last week, but it wasn't to be. I was hoping for a day during the Thanksgiving weekend. I might make it if I don't hear about surprise travel plans[Wink].
[signature]
thanks for the link Pat. I notice they make a lot of other cold weather gear. I will be trying out their socks.
[signature]
[#0000FF]They are spendy...but worth it. Hard to put a price on being able to fish comfy...as long as you want...and not having to get out every half hour to stomp some feeling back into your feet.

When I was tubing Willard this time of year back in the late 1970s we had far fewer options in waders, fins and warmth layers. The biggest fins I could find were today's equivalent of large...not extra large. I could find XL lightweight waders but they were not cut full enough to allow bulky extra layers. And they did not have neoprene foot pockets. Bottom line: if I wore extra layers for warmth I had trouble getting into my waders and fins...and my feet were so constricted I got foot cramps as well as cold feet. And there was one day on Starvation ice out fishing when the crotch on my lightweight waders suddenly split open from the extra layers of pants and allowed a flood of COLD water to pour into my waders. Ever see a float tuber launch like a Polaris missile?

Got it made today. Starting with great soft pocket diving fins...in a true XL...that have quick adjust features that allow me to wear plenty of extra layers during cold weather without constriction. Then there are the stockingfoot waders with neoprene foot pockets. Those eliminate the need for at least one extra layer. And finally, I wear neoprene divers' booties over the neoprene wader feet. With one layer of the Heat Holder socks I stay comfy right up until iceup.

By the way, it pays to shop around for the Heat Holders. Amazon sometimes has good deals on them. Ditto for some of our local storefronts...like Sportsmans. Might even try WallyWorld (Walmart).

Looking at going back to Willard next Wednesday. You up for that? Also, if you haven't acquired a new battery by then I have an extra I can loan.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hmm Wednesday is the day before Thanksgiving. wife might have me running around, getting ready for the feast. but I surly will try to sneak away.
[signature]
As a result of a trip to Pineview a couple years ago at this time of year, where I damn near froze in my kayak and Pat finned his way happily around, I bought some Heat Holder gloves. Then socks, and fingerless gloves, and a stocking cap, and...

You can say I'm sold on Heat Holders. They are in fact THE warmest gear I've found yet.
[signature]