Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New fish finder for kickboat
I have been using a hummingbird buddy fish finder on my kickboat for several years know. I want to upgrade to a bit better and more accurate unit next year. Any suggestions?

Thanks
[signature]
I used to use a Fishin Buddy too. I now have the Garmin Striker 4 and have enjoyed it. I attach it to my frame with RAM mounts and I attach the transducer with a Scotty kayak transducer arm. I just put the battery in the side pocket.
[signature]
There are a lot of good higher end fish finders on KSL for a fraction of the original cost. I'd bet you can find a really nice Lowrance or Humminbird for less than $300 and if you go a generation behind them, you can find very accurate ones for about $50.... All will depend on what features you want to have... If it were me, I'd look for good resolution so you can see very small fish or jigs, I'd also want GPS for speed and location information and the mapping features is pretty nice too, but you can get that on your phone, so it's not necessary on your FF... I'd like sidefinder capability, but I get along okay without it... That down scan, the X-ray looking images is not all that useful... I only use it occasionally and isn't great unless you are trying to tell weeds and terrain from other indications...

We are looking at doing a show and tell on ice where you can come see some different fish finders in action so you can decide what you personally like and need. It will be mid January at Hyrum I think... I always wanted to be able to see finders in action before I bought, but other than going with someone else and checking out their finder, it really never happened for me... So it was hard to decide... Anyway I wanted to try and help with this so I talked with Jeremy at Sportsmans Warehouse and he wants to help pull this off... So look for info on this to come... Later J
[signature]
I also used a Striker on my pontoon. It has gps (mph) which was nice when I used my electric to troll, it allowed for marking way points, water temp and depth plus time of day.
[signature]