Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fontenelle?
Going to Wyoming for the 3-day weekend. Would like to fish Fontenelle. It's a big place. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to fish? What is access like?
Thanks.
[signature]
In case no one answers from the Utah board you can always try the Wyoming board, just a thought. WH2
[signature]
chester,ihave been told that fishing near the dam on the west side near the cliffs is a good spot.also the upper part of fontenell is supposed to be good for the hard water fishing.thier are some big browns and rainbows in fontenell ,good luck.
[signature]
Chester,

I'm originally from Wyoming (Kemmerer) and my dad still lives there. I've made several trips there and he goes at least once a week.

Ice fishing has been slow this year at Fontenelle and has been now for the last couple of years (ice off and fall are still AWESOME). If you do go, white/red hair jigs having been working the best. White foxees w/ pink heads are a good sub. Ice is thick and temps are similiar to Strawberry, but the wind can blow. The dam is always a good bet, but a popular one.

If you go there, have a fish finder and go right up against the cliffs. The water is deep 60+ feet and you will need to locate where they are suspended in the thermals. The east side usually produces more fish and better action, plus less people. One thing to keep in mind is that the dam is closed to travel (since 9-11). You can still get to the other side via the river a little further south. Grab a map or if you know where Fontenelle is (actual little subdivision/store), stop in there and ask them how to get across. Probably easier than my lame explanation. Usually anywhere is decent along that side, but try to get into the 20-30 ft range. There is a bench that runs along about that depth and they hang on it all along that side.

Also, as a side note, if you are willing to make a big trip, look into the Gorge. My dad has been going there since Fontenelle is slow and doing rather well.

Good luck and tight lines!
F4F
[signature]
my dad and i hit good old fontenelle in mid january. i caught a nice cutt and my dad landed a nice brown. we had several other bites and even a couple other fish that the spit the hook after a good fight. lately ice fishin at fontenelle sure has been difficult. but still amazes me how good it is during the warmer seasons.

JR8fish
[signature]