Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua 12-19-17
Today at Mantua was much slower than last week, we caught fish, including some jumbo perch but only about half the total number and no gills. Lots more people out there but the ice was about 1/4" thicker, so 4 & 1/4", checked with a tape measure. The ice had almost 2" of snow covering it and was much less noisy, compared to a week ago. With the snow cover, it was very easy to see where the bad spots were, because water was coming up from open holes, in those areas. The holes were there not because of someone drilling holes but likely because those areas have not frozen and water is coming up from those holes getting the snow in that area wet. Please be careful out there. The first two pics are of one of those wet areas. Last pic is of the clear ice.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. It's funny how some people are in denial about the warm springs in that pond. They are scattered all over.
[signature]
Not sure if you can zoom in on that second pic but it shows one. As we were leaving we walked between two of those holes and all I can say is, I'm glad I was walking fast.[crazy] You could see the open water and spider cracks coming out from the holes. We left around 1pm and it was melting pretty good, air temp was up to 38 degrees.
[signature]
Nice perch! Too bad all the schools are just dinks....but maybe we'll run into a decent bunch one day....lookin' at next week there....
[signature]
[#0000FF]Do you have a copy of an old map locating those "springs"?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
This is the one I always look at. I hope these are correct. If not I guess someone will set me straight. I am hoping to get up there this Friday.
[#0000FF]That is not an "official" map...made by Mantua water department. It is a map made by an angler showing the weak spots in the ice for one particular year...and those areas can change from year to year.

Back in the 1970's I was shown a map of the Mantua valley area made before the streams were dammed to create the reservoir. It shows the inlet streams but no "springs"...except a couple of small ones higher up in the hills.

In later years I have talked with DWR folks about the "springs". The explanation I got for weak spots and openings in the ice are that they are mostly the result of decaying vegetation on the bottom. When weeds decay they produce gas bubbles that rise to the top. Being slightly warmer at the bottom of the lake they can affect the ice on top...especially during times of greatest decomposition activity.

Why do some "springs" seem to appear in the same areas most years? Because that is where the weed beds are thickest...and more die off and decompose.

Note: These are not the same methane "bubblers" that create holes in the ice at Bear Lake...but the concept is the same.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]That works for me Pat. And the "springs" theory agrees with everything I could find researching old maps and data sources about that valley's spring locations; mainly, I couldn't find any had data to support any "spring" locations anywhere on the floor of the reservoir.

But hey, if others want to believe that there are "springs" causing those soft spots, then I'm okay with that. Whatever the cause of the soft spots, the point is to stay the heck away from them. When you see dark colored snow (usually bluish in color), give it a wide birth. Lets all be safe out there. K?
[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Me, too....... yesterday. Gills & keeper perch not jumping thru the ice, but plenty of action from the dinks, and sooooo nice to get out for the first time this winter. Gorgeous day. Did see one Cascade-size perch on the way off when I quit at 1:30.
Can only get better.
[signature]
No map. Don't need one because I'm careful as I tread on that on pond.
If those aren't springs I'm seeing, Pat, then I'm seeing something producing open water in good thick ice, and some of those areas had bubbles flowing up at a slow rate. To me, those may not be methane springs, but springs non-the-less. I posted a pic on here a few years back...not sure if I still have it.
In either case, it's vital to tread carefully out there and be aware when you're walking.
[signature]
[#0000FF]We are both on the same page. No matter what causes open spots, we need to be observant and careful.

There are more than a few GOBs (Good Ol Boys) who are ready to go fist city with anyone who disputes that there are springs in Mantua. But again, most of them are going by what they see on top...not any topo map records that actually show springs on the lake bed.

I once had some old goober claim that before the lake was made he used to go skinny dipping in one of the "hot springs" now covered by the lake. No geothermal activity anywhere near Mantua. At least he didn't claim to see any mermaids...or the Bear Lake Monster coming up into the springs with him.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]