Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cleveland, Huntington and E Lake conditions
Hi folks,
I drove to the top of Huntington Canyon today to test drive an older snowmobile I was thinking of buying. On the way up the canyon I drove by Cleveland Reservoir, Huntington (Mammoth) Reservoir and the dam portion of Electric Lake. I thought I would pass along some visual conditions that I observed.

Cleveland Reservoir had a few fishermen out on the ice with their shelters up due to the breeze. There appears to be around 6 inches of new snow and the fishermen at Cleveland parked just off the highway and didn't drive down to the shoreline.

Electric Lake is not totally capped down at the dam end of the lake. I would say the ice covers about 70% of the reservoir that you can see from the highway. Hopefully the very cold temps forecast this weekend will cap the lake. Remember however that there is now some snow cover which can insulate the ice and keep it from building it's thickness the way it does without the snow blanket.

Huntington (mammoth) is also covered with around 6 inches of new snow and there were two groups out on the ice near the dam. The Utah DOT guys have plowed the parking area near the restrooms at the dam. I saw one young man out of his shelter shoveling another spot for their tent. He seemed to have no trouble walking on the ice with it's snow cap. The slick conditions from last week may be in the rearview for the time being.

The snow machine ran OK for me and I think it will be perfect once I make a few tune-ups to the carbs. I got it with a trailer and I'm ready now for any conditions Ma Nature throws my way this ice season. In fact the trailer is built for 2 sleds but I think my ATV will fit along side the new to me Skidoo. Both machines are Yellow, so they match. I may be making a fashion statement.

Mike
[signature]
great report! soooooon!
[signature]
Thank You
[signature]
i drove my jeep (could have been a small car tho) down to millers flat 4 days ago. first time in my life i ice fished it. one other had been out on the ice that i could see.. fishing was so fast we could not fish 2 poles.. as many 6 to 8 inch rainbows you could pull in.. kind-a like perch fishing at fish lake.. we could not even get a jig to the bottom... lol
we also fished Huntington a little later that day and caught 8 nice tigers both lakes the ice was 6 to 7 inch's..
[signature]