Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woodruff Reservoir....
So, I broke trail back to woodruff reservoir in a blizzard, 6-8” of snow all the way in, no cell service and knew it would be a long hike out to the road if I got stuck but no guts no glory, 4 low all the way to the crest of the dam, figured I wouldn’t chance getting stuck on the backside and parked just below the crest and drug my sled down the hill. I had a lake to myself, 6-8” of clear black ice that was super slick, put on my spikes after I ended up on my butt a few times.

Drilled holes in 21’ of water and tied on a white/pepper tube tipped with worm, after a few hours of getting pummeled by wind and snow I threw up the flag and humped my sled back up the hill, but not before icing about 10 nice cutts, missed a few more and had a few come off. Well worth the drive in.
[signature]
A for effort! Nice catching.
[signature]
Thanks for the report and pictures.

Those are tough conditions for sure.[:/]

It's good that you got into some fish after all the effort to get there.
[signature]
Luckily I am staying in woodruff, so only a 10 minute drive home once I hit pavement.
[signature]
You are a stud Remo that's for sure,used to fish the creek that comes into woodruff in the spring down dairy ridge into wheeler creek fished towards the rest lots of 3 and 4 pd cutts,no weight just a worm the was thousands in the creek coming up to spawn.
[signature]
Well done
[signature]
Cowboy Up!
Beautiful cutties! Nice job!
[signature]
As a retired DWR fisheries biologist i have watched and gill netted Woodruff Reservoir for years. I hope you understand this is a truly unique fishery in Utah. To my knowledge it has never been stocked. The cuts are pure Bear River Bonneviilles untouched by humans. I have studied the population of cutthroat above the reservoir and have found them to be pure BRB. Since this fishery is off the radar, we need to make sure there are no stocking efforts to put fish into it. I also has a popula
ttion of Mountain whitefish that range up to 5 lbs. It is a uniqued population lives in a reservoir, not streams. Few people understand the unique value of this population Fishing won't hurt it but we can not allow any stocking to occur. I appreciated the pictures of Bear River Bonneville cuts to add to my files.
[signature]
Good on you buddy. No stogie?
[signature]
Way too windy! Was a whiteout most of the time I was there. [crazy]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Man, that had to be brutal. I'm trying to convince my buddies to make the trip up there this week, but they are looking for something closer to Ogden. We are thinking Tuesday will be the day to seek out some safe ice. My Silverado long bed with new Wranglers should handle the trip in just fine.[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Better weather today just colder. -2 now, guess I’ll head back over soon.
[signature]
Big difference weather wise today, sun was out and no snow or Wind, much colder though and the road in was worse due to the deep snow drifts, had to run up that final hill about 5 times before I got up, Fishing was outstanding, I punched my first hole at 34’ and didn’t see anything on the finder, went back to 20’ and started picking them up right away, landed 15 in the 3 hours I was there, taking off the gloves to unhook fish and rebait was brutal, hands would be super cold in just that short time. All fish were 15-17” and healthy.
[signature]
Good job man! That lake has some of the prettiest cutthroat trout I've ever caught. Glad you had success, and those were some really nice pics.

Mike
[signature]
Mike, that looks like a sweet time out. Nothing like putting in a little work and enjoying the solitude and great fishing as a reward.
[signature]
I was going to Welcome you to the site but then I noticed you have been a member for over 14 yrs. Sure took you a while to get that first post in.[Wink]
With a username like Cisco, I'm going to assume you were a DWR fisheries biologist at Bear Lake and must know Scott T? Seems I remember seeing you at one of the Cisco Disco's I've been to over the years. Thanks for sharing that info about the Bear River cutts in Woodruff Reservoir. I never knew the Mountain whitefish(WF) could get up to 5 lbs, that's a huge WF.

remo_5_0, you are one tough dude, putting up with those condition, were you fishing by yourself? Nice looking cutty.
[signature]
Interesting information, thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Thanks for sharing. Your success proves that being in the coldest place in North America in December does have some advantages. Smile. And you still have fingers and toes too!! Great Job!
[signature]
Ya, I was flying solo for the last two days, it would have been better if I would have drug the tent and heater but I was trying to go light since I was alone.
[signature]
I always try and go light too but I know when it gets that bad, I can't stick it out for long. when snow starts drifting over my shed, it's time for me to all it quits. Seen a guy a The Gorge years ago that took all his gear out of his sled and turned it vertical to the wind, then sat on a bucket to hold the sled in place, now that's a die hard. You been camping out or staying in town there?
[signature]