Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry pictures from Saturday
I finally got around to getting some pictures downloaded from our ice fishing trip on Saturday. The best part of the day was the sun rise which was spectacular. We caught a good handful of fish which included 2 rainbows. One was 19 inches and just under three pounds and the other was 13 inches. We went to Chicken Creek East and when we left the vehicles for the trek through the waist deep snow the temperature was -6F. It got a little colder before it snowed and warmed up a little.

The high light of the day was putting plastic on the ice and watching fish down our holes. The guy in the brown overalls in the picture caught a 19 inch cut while he was looking down the hole and jigging the line with his hand. He watched as the cut took the bait and then he pulled up and set the hook. I heard some yelling and look over to see him trying to keep the slack off his line. I had to run over and start reeling his pole for him to get his line from tangling up before he could take the pole and finish bringing in his fish.

We were fishing in about 9 feet of water and when the bites slowed down, sunrise, we resorted to power bait and quick hook sets to keep from deep hooking. We caught three or four on power bait, all in the lips and easily released. I was lying down on the ice watching my jig and bait through my hole when I saw a nice cut, approx 20 inches, swim in and swim right up to my power bait. He did not even look at my jig and worm. He sawm up to within an inch of my bait and then swam off two feet before turning around and doing this again two more times. He then swam off just out of view for about ten seconds before coming back to look at my bait again. This time I barely wiggled my line which made my bait barely move. As soon as he saw it move he took it in his mouth and spit it out. I wiggled it again and he turned around and sucked it in again. This time I pulled on my line and started to pull him in hand over hand. I had him almost to the hole before he got off but what a learning experience to see how the fish reacted to my bait. The things we crazy fishermen will to do to try to catch more fish.
[signature]
boy seeing a sunrise like that would make you forget all about the cold, plus thats a nice fish you got there.
[signature]
It was a killer sunrise. I took my father-in-law who was down from California and I think even he forgot about the cold for a little while. The kid holding the fish is a friend of mine and the guy next to him is one of the people I fish with the most. Good day, good fish, good sunrise, good company, what more could I ask for????
[signature]
[size 1]"The high light of the day was putting plastic on the ice and watching fish down our holes."[/size]

[size 1]Please explain further what you mean by this statement of "putting plastic on the ice". [/size]
[signature]
Those were some Awsome pictures, thanks for sharing them with us.. [cool]
[signature]
I always take a piece of plastic, big enough to fit me laying on it, and put it on the ice. I then lay on the plastic to keep from getting wet from the snow and ice melting. I take a coat and put it over my head which helps to block out any glare on the water. I even cut a notch in one end of the plastic that goes on either side of the hole. It is so cool to lay down and look down an ice hole and see a fish swim by. It is even better to watch a fish actually play with and take your bait. I have seen a dozen or more fish come by, take my jig and spit it out without even so much as wiggling my line. Even with a fish finder you can't tell if they are sucking in and spitting out your jigs. This works best on sunny days and in shallow water, usually 15 feet deep or less. It is also cool to see how each different jig moves when you jig your line. The last three fish we caught on Saturday were from watching down a hole. I don't think we would have caught these fish because they barely even touched the jigs and bait when we had to pull on the line. The hardest part is setting the hook and then getting up and grabbing your pole or you have to pull the fish in on the line by hand and don't get much drag to help.
[signature]
We do the same thing with the ice tents. We set them up and close the windows. You can see down the hole quiet aways. Last year at East Canyon we watched so many fish it was a hit our jigs it was really cool.
[signature]
I have also done this with my ice tent; however, it literally is a pain in the back and neck after awhile.
[signature]
very nice pictures, it makes it nice to see mother nature shine. oh nice fish also.

hook um in the jaw
[signature]
Nice pictures, I am glad you enjoyed yourselves. That plastic on the ice sounds like a good idea. I should have to try it some time. thanks
[signature]
Nice pictures! Thats part of what makes it all worth it. Doing somthing you love with scenery like that. Way to go!
[signature]
I found the same thing. When the fish are right on your bait/lure, a little jiggle makes them hit. Anything more than that and they lose interest real fast most of the time.
[signature]
nice pics. i have done the lookin down the old hole trick a time or two and have found that is when the fish come and bite your jig. just when you cant get the hook set you need. lol

jr8fish
[signature]
Great pics, say... what type of camera are you using?
[signature]
I am using a Nikon CoolPix 950 digital. It is definitely not a brand new camera but seems to do a pretty good job. I can't afford to buy one for myself so it is nice have one from work that they encourage us to use so we are familiar with them and how to take better pictures. I'm not sure of it's mega pixels but I think it's only around 2.1. Nowadays you can easily buy a camera with four or five mega pixels and I'm sure you would get a better picture. I was pleased with how well the sun rise turned out in these last pictures. On cameras I have used in the past they have lost all the color from sunrises and sunsets but this one did pretty good.
[signature]