Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safe spots at Scofield?
I’m looking to take my dad and nephew fishing at Scofield on Thursday. They’ve both never been so I’m looking for advice on places on the ice that are easy to park and access and walk out onto the ice.

Also, what lures do you recommend at Scofield? Tube jugs? Worms? Chub meat?
[signature]
If it doesn't show, I would recommend going to the mountain view state park, and just walking off the boat ramp. It's an easy on/off there and you can stay close to your vehicle. Just try to locate some rocky ridges and you should find some fish. They planted a lot of fish this year, so there are many fish to be caught. Not much with size yet. But anything that makes the poles bend. So far this year, all meats have worked the same for me. Crawler, meal works and chub meat. Colors haven't mattered much either. But the later in the day I got, the smaller the big they wanted.
[signature]
This is perfect. Appreciate the advice.
[signature]
I usually fish along rocky shores just off the boat ramp in Madsen Bay, which is the northern arm of the lake. The access is very easy there, plus you can avoid the crowds that congregate in the deeper areas to the south. The water is a lot shallower there, but the fish are often right up against shore pursuing minnows in the rocks so deep water isn't necessary. I've caught fairly large trout in just two feet of water, sometimes in as little as one foot, but the best depth seems to be around three to seven feet.

I've also done well where the lake broadens between Mtn View and the little community on Madsen Bay. Again, few people fish there because the water isn't super deep, so you can avoid the crowds. The highway shoulder widens along that stretch of the lake so you can park there and just walk down to the lake, so access is also pretty good.

I don't bother with jigs--I've done really well with just a hook with a split shot weight (I know that isn't sexy but it works fine), baited with either a small redsided minnow or a couple inches of nightcrawler. Nightcrawlers tend to work better overall, but tiger trout seem to like minnows better.
[signature]