Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation - Last time for the year
I fished Starvation today in my tube from 10:00 until 1:00. I launched at Juniper Point and fished across to the north side of the reservoir. The weather was calm and cool at launch but at 12:15 the wind started to blow and never let up.

I used a fast sinking line with size 6 & 8 buggers in black/orange and tan/green/pearl. It was one of those good news, bad news days. The good news, I caught everything I hooked, the bad news, I only hooked two fish, both rainbows between 18" & 19" long.

The water temperature was 36-37 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 8'. The reservoir level is just over 90% full and rising.

I got out and drove over to Rabbit Gulch to try and get out of the wind and fished there for an hour and a half and had no hits, no runs, and no errors.[:/]

There was a little skim ice in the backs of some of the bays but with todays wind it will probably knock most of it off.
[signature]
Thanks for posting your report and pics. Loved the 8 swans a swimming pic[cool]. Too bad the catching remains slow. Were you marking any fish on the bottom?
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Were you marking any fish on the bottom?[/quote]

Your welcome.

I did mark some fish that were near the bottom in 25' - 35' FOW. There were also some near the bottom in 85' - 95' FOW. Most of the fish were of the small variety so I'm assuming some of them to be Perch.

When I did mark fish, there were usually a lot of them in a small area with some larger fish suspended in with them.
[signature]
Sounds kind of perchy to me[Wink]. You didn't try anything that deep(25-35' )did you by chance?
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Sounds kind of perchy to me[Wink]. You didn't try anything that deep(25-35' )did you by chance?[/quote]

Yes I did since I was using a #8 sinking line I can get down to 40' while trolling (paddling) and I did try some smaller flies. I would have spent more time trying for them if the wind hadn't changed my mind.

When I finally made it back to shore I had two large waves completely wash over my tube.[:/]

I've included a photo showing the area that I fished to give you a little more information.
[signature]
Having waves come over your tube does not sound like fun, glad you made it back to shore safely. Interesting pic, isn't it kind of steep getting down to the water in that location, where you launched?
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Interesting pic, isn't it kind of steep getting down to the water in that location, where you launched?[/quote]

With the water level where it's at it is easy to get in. You could launch a small boat there. The second picture with the bank anglers shows where I put in.
[signature]
You are right, it has been a few years since I was there but I was thinking that second pic was from a different spot, I guess not. That would be real easy to launch from.
[signature]