Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview 1/3
I decided to play a little hooky from work yesterday and hit PV. Soooooo glad I did.
Hit the port ramp about 8:30, cold but not too bad, and found the road in well packed. No problem getting in or out. As I came over the dam, there was steam coming off the water[shocked] still some open water around there so be careful in the narrows.
Got to the ice...scary lookin....but was 3-4 clear ice with a 1-2 milky layer. Walked about 150 yards south and east away from the ramp. We had been there this fall and done well for perch. Drilled my first hole, marked fish at 30 ft and the bottom at 40 ish. Been aching to try these Lindy perch talkers. Went with the green one first and tipped it with a chunk of worm. First of many 4-6 inch perch.
I gave it ten minutes with the same results. Went out a little farther cut 5 hole in a large circle. Switched to a Splendor spoon tipped with an eyeball.......then the bigger ones came to play. This was the ticket for the larger perch.....and one 12 " crappie.

The perch bite slowed down about 1ish. Played another hour trying for some crappie but nothing. Been crazy for the crappie this year!!!!

The big thrill of the day....well if you can call it a thrill....was a pressure ridge that shook the whole lake!!! I thought to myself, this is the day you die fishing. A crack went right between my legs. Felt like an earth quake. The end result was about thirty ice fisherman messing their pants at the same time. Lots of whooping and praying!!

Any way, GREAT day on the ice!

LT
Gotta love ice popping under your feet. On deer creek a few years ago the biggest and loudest I ever ran into. Fisherman looked like coots running across the ice. Looks like you caught a few big perch. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
Nice report. Good catch of nice perch too.
There's nothing quite like moving and loud ice to test the ticker......and the sphincter!! I'm sure the ice only being a few inches thick only made that much more intense.

Mike
[signature]
thanx for the report
[signature]
What is the deal with the ice forming in a circle like that? We saw the same thing where we were fishing. We found them in 30 FOW but when we moved out to the deeper water they were not biting, so we stayed in 30'. I thought the same thing when that ice dropped like that, thought it was an earthquake. We were 1/4 mile North of you and it felt like the ice dropped a inch or more[crazy]. Lots of people out there for a Wens, guess the word is out. Were you fishing by yourself? Saw a string of guys fishing right where you were, from closer to shore to way out there where you were. Nice day out there.
[signature]
I dieing to go. But i only have. 2 wheel drive car is there no chance for me.
[signature]
Yes, I was by my self. None of the buddies could make it out. There was one guy farther south then me. Did you arrive about 9 and park next to a grey truck?? I thought it looked like you but I wasn't sure. If so, next time I'll make sure to say hello.

Definitely more guys out than I would have guessed for mid week. Not sure what those rings in the ice were....sure made it freaky to walk on sometimes.

LT
Well......tough call. The road is snow packed but lots of ruts. If it's icy, you may slide in to the snow. If it warms up, you may not get any traction. My truck is 2-wheel drive but I have chains. I've had to use them in there a couple of time when conditions have changed.
If you go for it bring a shovel just incase.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

LT
Hey LT, WiperHunter, BrighamFish, or any other BFT'rs out on Pineview Wed......I was also there, about 0900 to 2:30 with a buddy, out of Port marina first, and then to Cematary Pt.....we didn't do so good, plus I lost a clear plastic container of panfish lures at one of those bumpy entry/exit paths to the ice......just in case, I know it's a stretch......just got some new stuff from T.D. haven't had a chance to try yet! Dang......
[signature]
Think you passed us on your way in/out litetackle. What a great perch day. While not all the perch were big for us there sure were a lot and with enough big ones to make a healthy batch of tacos at the end of the day without a lot of cleaning. Some of our friends who joined us later even caught a couple small cats. That ice POP! was a good nerve rattler for sure Lol! Good job on the crappie!
[signature]
Did you get a good look at the guy south of you? was he wearing a gray suit? kind of a motley looking fellow? That was probably me, the only one south of the main groups.

It took me a while to get anything to bite. The first were little catfish bait size. I moved out deeper and started picking up some of the better fish. One bullhead as well.

I agree the earth quake was a thrill. I was too busy to look around to see how many fisher persons may have made a dash for the shore line.

Richard J
[signature]
[quote litetackle]Yes, I was by my self. None of the buddies could make it out. There was one guy farther south then me. Did you arrive about 9 and park next to a grey truck?? I thought it looked like you but I wasn't sure. If so, next time I'll make sure to say hello.

Definitely more guys out than I would have guessed for mid week. Not sure what those rings in the ice were....sure made it freaky to walk on sometimes.

LT[/quote]

No, we got there right before you and I saw you park, just as I was walking down. Thought you were going to get stuck when you first pulled up. Here is another Pic of that strange ice pattern.
[signature]
"Here is another Pic of that strange ice pattern."

[#0000FF]Interesting pattern in the ice. What do you call those...crappie circles?[/#0000FF]
[signature]
LOL, I think I would if there were any crappie around them but we found only perch
[Sad].
[signature]