Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Provo harbor activity
There's actually something happening at the harbor today. Dump trucks and loaders.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
About time. I check the cam every day and have not seen any movement. Thanks for the report I’ll have to check it out.
[signature]
It looks like there was activity in two different spots. Way out on the end of the South Dike, where it almost reaches the North Dike. And by the restrooms on the North Dike.
Maybe they'll get it dredged by the 4th of July.[Tongue]

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
I would imagine that they need to build a coffer dam to seal the mouth of the marina and then pump all of the water out of the marina before they can do any serious dredging. Difficult to pump ice, so I bet no serious work will happen until spring and even then if they have to wait for the currently-flooded area to dry out first it will be even longer before they start dredging.
[signature]
I think that it would be more productive to get the water out so that the mud could freeze up.

Once it is froze they could hit it with a ripper to get it loosened up and hauled out instead of waiting for it to dry up to start working on it.

But on the flip side I'm not sure that it would freeze up with the way that this winter is going.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I would think that they'd rather deal with somewhat fluid soil, rather than dust. Much easier to move. Don't have to breathe it either. Pretty easy to deal with an extra few inches of ice when you're dredging a couple of tons of earth.

My dad was an operating engineer and ran a drag line many times and dredged creek beds and river beds for flood control. Didn't seem to have any trouble dealing with water.

Looks like the coffer dam may be in place.

We'll see.

[signature]
Considering the large area that they need to dredge (assuming they do more than the main channel) I would think they would want to get heavy equipment in there, while it is mostly dry, scoop and haul out with dump trucks. I guess we will find out soon how they plan on doing it.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Sent an email to Sam at the Utah Lake Commission, asking about the process and projected schedule. Here is his reply. Thanks, Sam.

[/#0000FF]
"Yes, the project is underway. They've encountered some delays, but we are hearing reports of progress. Yes, there is a dam, pump the water out, and then heavy equipment to remove the material. The timetable they have given us is to reopen the park April 1, 2018.

We will continue to release updates through our monthly newsletter as we receive them from the State Park.

Sam Braegger
Outreach Coordinator
[signature]
The coffer dam is in place now. Pics are on the Utah lake State Park website.
[signature]
[quote MisterCompletely]

The coffer dam is in place now. Pics are on the Utah lake State Park website.

[/quote]

Tried to find a website that showed these pictures and the one I found didn't have any. Please post a link.
[signature]
They are on their face book page.
[signature]
Water levels are noticeably lower. Been watching the dock on the North side. It was out of the water for a while, then the water came back up. Now it is completely out of the water.

[signature]
Yep.

I have to admit I was watching the live feed while having breakfast today and they are still hauling fill out to the mouth of the harbor but action is picking up there.
[signature]
In the past, when dredging, they have just run the equipment out the North dike and dredged, no coffer dam, no sealing off the outer harbor, nothing fancy, just using the either a drag line or very big track hoe. The only time they have built coffer dam's and pumped water out, is when they extended and repaired all the launch ramps. If they are pumping water out, then they are doing something other than deepening the channel along the inside of the North dike. I know that they have totally shut down access to the park, you can't even walk in, so that is different. They may be going to bring in a doser and scrape the whole of the outer marina to deepen it, not sure there. It will be interesting to see the result though. The sediment in the lake is so fluid that as soon as the dam is removed, the wind and wave action will begin to push it back into the dredged area. It is fun to watch the work, but seems they don't want any observers this time !!
In the past, when dredging, they have just run the equipment out the North dike and dredged, no coffer dam, no sealing off the outer harbor, nothing fancy, just using the either a drag line or very big track hoe. The only time they have built coffer dam's and pumped water out, is when they extended and repaired all the launch ramps. If they are pumping water out, then they are doing something other than deepening the channel along the inside of the North dike. I know that they have totally shut down access to the park, you can't even walk in, so that is different. They may be going to bring in a doser and scrape the whole of the outer marina to deepen it, not sure there. It will be interesting to see the result though. The sediment in the lake is so fluid that as soon as the dam is removed, the wind and wave action will begin to push it back into the dredged area. It is fun to watch the work, but seems they don't want any observers this time !!
In one of the previous threads it was said that they were going to dredge the entire inner harbor and the channel along the north dike. Then they would see if there was enough money to work on the rest of the outer harbor.
[signature]
Bye bye water. It's disappearing now.

[signature]