Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from a new guy!
Hello everyone!
I finally signed up after lurking for quite awhile. All of the info I found on these forums and specifically this Nevada forum has really helped me make the jump to get on the water. I normally fish small waters in southern Utah but all the talk about bass fishing at Lake Mead finally got to me. I work with a very strict budget for my fun stuff, so everything I have was purchased used and with Christmas gift cards. I decided on a kayak fishing platform as it'll let me get off the shore a bit (pics below). Last Wednesday was the first time I've ever attempted to fish Lake Mead. I paddled around government wash and tried just beyond the tires at Callville. No luck but I can't wait to try again this coming Wednesday after gaining some more knowledge on the sport. Once again thank you everyone and thanks to BFT for existing. I've found a new hobby that I'm already in love with. Any tips, tricks, or criticisms for a new guy I'm all ears. Hope to see you all out there.

-A.J.

[Image: 73frjp.jpg]
[signature]
Welcome to the site AJ. I can't speak for everyone on this site but most members are willing to help out new members and those new to the sport. I think most members would agree that fishing can be addicting but it's a good addiction[Wink]. Don't be afraid to reach out to members that have similar styles of fishing with a PM(Private Message) as most are willing to help you with questions you might have. I noticed BigE also fishes from a kayak, so he might give you some tips, if you ask or try replying to his post on Willow Beach:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread

Also we have a kayak forum that might be of interest to you on setting your up:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ategory=73

Again welcome, looking forward to reading your post.
WH2
[signature]
[cool]Welcome to the board. Your setup looks great and will get you to a lot of promising areas. I paddle all over government wash,33 hole and Vegas wash. It’s nice to paddle a few miles to locate fish and new areas that show potential. You may have heard this already but anything that looks like a shad will catch you some fish. Work the shallows now for some largemouth bass. I have got some nice bass this time of year doing that. Also check out Hemenway and outside of Boulder harbor. Dropping anchovies off the beaches can land some fish. If you want to go after bigger fish and have the tackle for it go to Willow Beach. The stripers there feed on the trout that are planted. It is not guaranteed and you may just have a day of paddling but if you hook up it can be a big fish. I call a fish caught at willow a bonus. Good luck,tight lines and I may see you out on the water
[signature]
Thanks for the welcome and tips guys. If you see me paddling around feel free to say hello. I'm just itching to get out there Wednesday morning. Hopefully the weather stays as planned.
[signature]