Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Pups
Recently we had a good discussion about the Lakers and the Pups at Flaming Gorge.

On 1/6/18 KSL Outdoors had a pretty good show about catching the Pups and KEEPING them. We discussed how to catch them, what do do, etc., but they showed them and that alone is a benefit.

I know that KSL Outdoors puts there stuff on YouTube after it airs, so for those that are interested in reducing the Pup population, or just learning how to catch the Pups, this might be one of the best ways.

Some discussion was had about the 8 fish limit, but I won't get into it here. Check it out and see if it might help you out.
I watched that, too. I'd go if it were closer. I wonder if they'd ever try to execute a catch and kill on the small lakers?
[signature]
The ironic thing is when KSL does a show it just causes a huge pressure increase and all the macs stop biting in those few areas that are iced up. The same thing happened last year too. If the whole lake was iced up it would be a different story, but that never happens often enough.

Running a show on catching the pup lakers might be a feel good thing to do, but realistically it wont result in more harvest. Maybe more crowding in those few areas.
[signature]
Thanks for the heads up on how to watch the show. I don’t have television anymore but still like to see the occasional show. I see ksl outdoors has their YouTubes out about 2 weeks after airing so I’ll be watching for it.
Hope to had to the Gorge next weekend if there is still open water and try out my new Christmas kayak. Would love to have some pup blood on the deck to christen her properly.

Mike
[signature]
[quote harlin]The ironic thing is when KSL does a show it just causes a huge pressure increase and all the macs stop biting in those few areas that are iced up. The same thing happened last year too. If the whole lake was iced up it would be a different story, but that never happens often enough.

Running a show on catching the pup lakers might be a feel good thing to do, but realistically it wont result in more harvest. Maybe more crowding in those few areas.[/quote]

KSL featured an open water segment this time. They focused on jigs tipped with a small amount of bait at the edges of deep flats, 50' to 70'. They touched on trolling using side planers with cranks and downriggers with spoons.

In this case, I hope it works to teach the guys that say they cannot catch the pups how to do it.

I know that the KSL featured methods will work, and I know that this is not the only way.

As for catch and kill, who knows. First would be an elimination of the limits on the pups in my mind.
here is the link
https://www.ksl.com/?nid=1112&sid=462329...trout-pups

I don't like catching the pups
I don't eat them
I catch a lot fishing for kokanee
I see a lot of them on the fishfinder sometimes more of them than kokanee

Trolling most days spoons works best
[signature]