Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield
Three of us hit Scofield Monday. Hit the west side and set up in 19 to 21 foot of water and never drilled another hole all day. Fish would come through about ever ten min or so, and we would get a couple. I had 5 or six doubles.We ended up with 105 fish between the three of us with only two chubs in the mix. The go to bait was wax worm and the cut bait from the first chub on any thing white or fluorescent green. Small was the secret. All fish were between thirteen and sixteen inches, with most in the 14 inch range. no big ones today... Last week gave us larger fish 15-17 inch but not as many. Things are looking good for Scofield
[signature]
thinking about going there Sat. it's been a long time since I was on the west side. Is there access from a road or is it snowmobile or walking only? Any info helps. Thanks.
[signature]
Me and 2 kids where there Saturday and only got 13 in the 10-13 inch range all cutthroat. We were on the east side south of the dam.

Where you across from the state park, or west of the island?
[signature]
There is a fisherman access on the west side has 2 rest room s and walk in access . Find 20 ft.of water fish at 12 ft.small white or flor. Green. There's a good snowmobile access 1/4 mile south .
[signature]
thanks for the info.
[signature]
I don’t have any electronics. About how far off shore do you have to go to get 20ft of water?
[signature]
It depends on what part of the lake, but in most places you don't have to go that far to get to 20ft, maybe 30 yards (I'm not good with estimating distances). I've only been once this year but in past years closer to shore has been the fastest fishing for me. The deeper I got the more chubs I caught. Good Luck.
[signature]
I don't really worry about a specific water depth at Scofield. If you are not catching fish go more shallow. The best success at times there is right off the shore. I always fish in 10' or less which is very close to shore.
[signature]
R at the fisherman's access go north a hundred yards and out a hundred yards and you'll be about right
[signature]
Thanks for all the info. I think we're going to give it another shot this weekend!
[signature]
If you are staying shallow, say less than 25 feet, just take an old tape measure and cut a hole and feed it down. Just make sure it's the metal style that will stay rigid. Redneck sonar.
[signature]
Take the pole you plan to use and measure how much 1 full rotation of your reel handle retrieves (i.e. 6" per handle rotation) Then when ever you are fishing you can
drop to the bottom and count rotations when you retrieve it. This will also help you to stay at a depth when fish are suspended.
[signature]
I often just put my rod tip on the ice then raise the tip ,bail open , up to head hight. 6 ft 2 times equals 12 ft or 3x18.......
[signature]
Surprising how accurate this is. Do it often and then look at the finder to see how close I got. (easily amused I know)
I taught the kids to do this as someone says "fish at 18'" the others could get there.
[signature]
It's bulky, but I enjoy using my reel with it's digital line counter with tungsten lures.

At Flaming Gorge where there is some considerable depth it's advantage really shines.

I leave my fish finder in one hole and resist moving it because it also took some time to set up the camera to look at structure that might attract fish or along an underwater cliff face point that traveling fish will tend to go around close.

But, I will use the reading of the depth of most traveling fish there and then run from hole to hole with just the rod and reel to drop to precisely the same depth quickly even if it's deep.

I'm thinking I might get the latest Deeper to combine with that technique.
[signature]