Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview help
Hey guys i think I’m going to take my 3 yr old out and try to get him into a few fish on Saturday. I think pineview is my best chance to get him into some. I have only fished that lake a couple times and am not real familiar with it yet. If anybody could offer any advice on getting into crappie or perch it would be greatly appreciated. What to use or general area. I do have a fishfinder that hopefully will help us get into the right area. The plan is to turn him into a lifetime fishing partner and it all starts Saturday. Thanks in advance
[signature]
Browning point or cemetery point and Port Ramp are all reasonable access points I like the north side of cemetery point. It seems this year 30-35 ft of water has been best. A small jig or ice fly tipped with wax worms or perch eyes fished within a couple inches of the bottom should get you some perch. Perch eyes will often out fish wax worms. Night crawlers can also be effective but keep the pieces small. Good luck with the little guy and let us know how you do
[signature]
Awesome thanks! That helps a ton! Are you able to drive all the way down to the point or does it close off at the cemetery and then Just walk? I’ll definitely give an update on how it goes
[signature]
park by cemetary then ike out Wink
[signature]
Browing point would be easier for the little guy to walk down it's a little bit of a longer walk but not as steep we fished browing last night did ok for perch till the sun went down. After dark picked up a few nice crappie tipped with was worms on ratfinkies 30 to 40 fow good luck
[signature]
Sorry guys kids ended up getting the flu last weekend so we didn’t go out but were able to get out today. We decided to go north side of cemetery and walked a little bit around to more of the west side. I left it up to my 3 yr old on where to go. He decided to stop and that put us in 27 ft of water and fish showed on the finder right away so we set up. Marked tons of fish all day long but couldn’t figure out what they were really eating. Had huge marks every so often at 16-18 ft that we figured was maybe either crappie coming through or Muskie but couldn’t get a nibble from those. Ended catchin four perch on bottom each with different things. Ratfinkie with mealworm then used the perch eye to catch the second. Then switched to white and pink glow ice fly with sucker meat. Then the biggest fish we used a slice of perch meat (picture). Missed a few and marked a hundred others. But the little one had a blast and wants to go back so it was a success. Great day out on the ice. And thanks to whoever kept the plank out there. My boy loved going across the “bridge”
[signature]
Way to get him out there. Glad he got through the flu. It's been bad one this year. Lots of hospitalizations from it.

Some of this is hard with a youngster, but moving around to find fish is a good tactic. They can be at any depth even very close to shore. My first good trip this yesr, I cleaned up in 40 FOW. Most recent was SLOW, but I finally got a bunch so close to shore it felt weird, in about 11 FOW. In my limited experience, whether they are biting depend mostly on weather, and then fishing pressure.

Perch have pretty big mouths, so don't be too shy about using a bigger jig. Helps you get down quickly again. If you use a tiny ice jig, you can put a flasher above it, too. I only go small when they are super picky, and even then use a "chain and spoon" a lot.

Keep the bellies from fish you filet and slice them into tiny strips, like 1/4" x 3/4", skin on, for bait. Freeze or treat with meat cure and refrigerate, but sometimes the fresh eyes are just the thing. Regular worms, like red wrigglers or nightcrawlers can also work, but I actually have poor success tipping jigs with them. If fishing is poor, I sometimes actually tie some type of bottom rig for them, like a dropshot where the sinker line is slightly shorter than the hook line. Pound the sinker on the bottom a few times, snug up the line, and see who takes the worm as it settles to the bottom. Be really ready for the hookset.

And, I see guys w/out them, but I couldn't live w/out a spring bobber or small float for panfish of any kind.

Good luck.
[signature]
I like that little orange and yellow type on the end, there, also in pink and white, red, red/white, and speckled darker colors.
[signature]