Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntington (Mammoth) Res. 01-18-18
Had the day off, so off to the ice I went. Since I was solo I didn't want to go anywhere the ice was less than 12 inches thick. I drove up Huntington Canyon and fished Huntington Reservoir along with about a dozen other anglers.

I passed up the dam area since there were several people fishing there just out from the dam face. I went about half way up the lake and parked just off the road near one of the access points. I found about 8 inches of snow over a few inches of hard frozen slush. I was told the slush was a problem over the last weekend but it has firmed up nicely. Walking was not difficult and I went out about 50 yards off shore and ended up over 25 feet of water. I measured the ice thickness at about 16 inches including the frozen slush on the top.

Fishing was slow today although there were many fish passing through on a regular basis. Many fish looked at my offering and flipped me their fin. I used parts of shiners I trapped last fall at Electric Lake. The Tigers didn't seem to want any red side shiners. I got a good hit and lost a fish on a tube jig tipped with a piece of nightcrawler. I got the most action with a small plain jig head tipped with a mealworm. I caught two tigers about 15 inches long. They were in good condition but not as large as I was hoping to invite to dinner, these will have to do. I got a number of other hits and lost a few fish prior to the surface of the ice. I only saw a few other fish landed by guys within sight of my location. I talked with another angler who said he only saw a few caught down near the dam.

The weather was great! High clouds and sun with NO wind. It was good to get up there before the weekend storm that might dump enough snow to bring the slush monster out of it's cave.
[signature]
I was glad that you didn't tell me you'd caught them on topwater lures. It was worried for a minute this afternoon. I was good to see you getting out today.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
I gave up using topwater lures while ice fishing a few years ago. The ice would wear all the paint off the lure and my fish had bruised heads that made them unsightly.

Mike
[signature]
[quote TopH2O]I gave up using topwater lures while ice fishing a few years ago. The ice would wear all the paint off the lure and my fish had bruised heads that made them unsightly.

Mike[/quote]
[cool]
[signature]