Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum ice check
With the winds tomorrow I think I'll stay home and ice fish instead of going to Bear Lake. How is Hyrum holding up? Think I'll try off the marina or swim beach, is there enough ice to hold me up? Any fresh tips on the bite? Thanks Later J
[signature]
Just looked at the cams and it appears that half the lake has standing water on it.
[signature]
Fished there Tuesday. Bite was great in the morning then dead the rest of the day. Caught a half dozen perch and some planter trout. Ice from the beach back to the pressure ridge near the inlet was all 6". Edges were good in the morning but getting soft by the time we left. I wouldn't cross the pressure ridge near the beach, very active. You can easily go around it at shore. There was open water at the inlet and on the south side of the lake.
[signature]
Yes it did but wasn't too deep. Looked like open water though. I should have got a picture of me walking on water. Oh well maybe next time. There is 5-6" of ice at the marina but no fish. We put in 4 hours and I think we saw maybe 6 fish on the graph. I moved 6-8 times and could not find the fish. Looked from 15' to 40' FOW and it was Sad. I got skunked over there. Headed to Benson to play with some 7" crappie. Got a dozen or two of them. Wish there was some bigger ones, but at least I got a couple fish to keep me from falling into depression. Edges are getting week so you may want a plank or knee boots. Thanks for the help. J
[signature]
Thank you for the info, I should have hit the beach but I was worried my FIL couldn't walk that far so I took him where I could drive down the boat ramp and drop him off and pick him up when we were done. Worked good for that part, just no fish to be found. Sometimes I hate having this Marcum LX-7. It is so good that you know exactly what is around and when there's no fish it really makes me antsy to keep moving. Which wouldn't be bad if I could find some fish in another spot, but today was terrible in that end of things. Anyway the ice is okay 5-6" most everywhere, slick as can be, time for ice cleats, but the snow will change things by morning. Appreciate your info, wish I would have followed it. Thanks J
[signature]