Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trolling question?
If I am trolling for trout on a lake like East Canyon in the spring time, and I am using an electric trolling motor on a 19' boat, and my lure is running only 5' deep, how far behind the boat should the line be as a minimum and how far to the side of the boat should the line be (planer boards needed?)? Just wondering with this shallow of a lure and this clarity level of water, how skittish the fish would be. The quiet motor should help, but I am new to this. Thx.
[signature]
I am a big fan of planer boards when trolling. You can add inline weights for more depth and get the lures way out to the side. If I want to run lures deeper of to the side you can use dipsy divers, since they dive deep and can go out the side. For real deep work I prefer downriggers.
[signature]
I use downriggers to get deeper! Is you are surface long lining, I would say 150 feet back is not longer. Planer boards are an option.
[signature]
Lol, great grammar on my part.
[signature]
at least 100 ft back, I have caught fish 30' from the boat letting the line out.
planer boards work great in the spring you can put two pole on one planer board one by the board the other 1/2 way to it.
If I have 3 in the boat we will have 6 lines out when the fish are on top 4 on planer boards and 2 on the downriggers
you catch a lot more fish with downriggers.
[signature]
[quote Optimizer]How far behind the boat should the line be as a minimum? [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]75 ft[/#][/font]

How far to the side of the boat should the line be? [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]If your 75 ft back or more, it really doesn't matter how far to the side you are. If you use short setbacks (say less than 50 ft), then you probably need to be 25 ft or more off to the side. I use boat anchored planer boards (vs fishing line anchored) and always let out 50 feet of board cord which puts me generally out to the side about 30 to 35 feet max, but can hold them closer if desired buy controlling with the fishing reel. Boat anchored boards also allow for more than one line off each board cord. You can't do that with fishing line boards - you need multiple boards.[/#][/font] [/quote]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
All this advice is very helpful to me too.. You can also use deep diving lures. some can dive 25'. They have been very useful to me at Bear Lake this year.

humpy
[signature]
I do spring time fishing like this. I like to be a hundred feet back and I sig sag all the time. It is very effective at catching trout until the water temps drive them deeper.
[signature]