Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Years Day with the Grandsons
Took three of my grandsons fishing on New Years Day. The two youngest had never been fishing before. Grandsons one and two are brothers, the third one, a year older, has been a regular with me at this spot and, of course, is a cousin.

Using half a nightcrawler on a #6 hook, and a weighted foam bobber, I cast out for all three, and handed them each a pole. Soon after, it was fish on for grandson one, his first fish ever. About 10 minutes later, he caught a second one.

Grandson number three then caught two fish. They went on the stringer, but one escaped because the boys couldn't leave the fish alone.

Meanwhile, grandson two hadn't caught anything. Fish kept playing with his bait, but he couldn't set the hook. And, while I wasn't watching, he somehow wound the reel backwards and got it hopelessly tangled. I tried to fix it, but gave up.

Now he had no pole. His brother kindly offered his, but it was getting late, and colder.

With new bait and a different location, he was back in the water, but we saw no action. We waited and waited and soon it was time to go. I felt bad. So did he. I said, we'll have to go, so reel it in.

Suddenly his bobber dunked, then went sideways. "Set the hook," I yelled, and the battle was on. I grabbed the net. This one wasn't going to get away.

Soon it was over and he had it safely on the shore. We were seconds away from going home when this great little guy landed not just his first fish, but the biggest one of the day.

He was a happy fisherman.

On a side note, while trying to help the last one catch a fish, grandson number three figured out casting. Woo Hoo!

[inline Helaman1stFish.jpg]

[inline Moroni1stFish.jpg]
[inline dinnerHandM.jpg]
[signature]
Looks like an awesome day full of great memories. It is always great to get the opportunity to share our love for the outdoors with others.
[signature]
They've all asked me when we are going fishing again. Soon, I say, when it gets a little warmer.

I am looking forward to our next fishing trips.
[signature]
Sounds like a good time. It reminds me of my first years of fishing with my grandpa. He's been gone awhile now but he was for sure the greatest influence in my love for the hills. Good job gramps!!
[signature]
Thanks for sharing, I can't wait for my 2 grandsons to get a little older. one is 1 and the other is 1 1/2 . great job Grandpa !

humpy
[signature]