Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The End is Near
Just checking out the ten day forecast and it don't look good for ice fishing the lower lakes. Ice isn't great now and it's showing ten days of not dropping below freezing and highs near fifty. If you want to get some time on the ice yet this year, you better do it soon or plan on the higher elevation lakes, it's not going to last much longer. Sorry for the doomsday forecast just calling it as I see it. Later J
[signature]
We just booked hotel rooms for a Flaming Gorge trip in a few weeks. Saw that same hellish 10 day forecast. Definately a strange year for ice weather. Just hoping enough hardtop sticks around for a few more weeks to at least try around firehole and not have to use that refund option. [fishon]
[signature]
I like ice fishing, but also like trolling. I am ready to break out the boat![fishon]
[signature]
whoooo hoooo[cool]

icebegone[Wink]
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
I don't know why but I just like icefishing more than just about any other brand o' fishing. Really think I might retire farther north someday. Somewhere I can park a winnebago on the lake for a couple months a year and wait for some big ol eyes to swim by. Have you ever seen sturgeon spearing through the ice? Looks like pure heaven to me! [laugh]
[signature]
I've been traveling to the Bear with boat for the soft deck all winter. Ice cubes are for the antifreeze I drink not to sit on. [bobhappy] I do enjoy catching up on the stories of what coming up thru the ice. I'm ready for a short trip or 2 to the local lakes. [fishon] I told wifee yesterday its time to get a fresh load of supplies for tuneups, oil changes, and trailer bearing maintenance. Its definitely an excellent time with this warmer climate change to get the soft water sleds up to par.
[signature]
You have been calling for an end to the ice season since it started. One of these days you will be correct--haha[Wink]
[signature]
Global Warmings not real its just weather.......LOL
[signature]
[quote muirco]I like ice fishing, but also like trolling. I am ready to break out the boat![fishon][/quote]

X2
[signature]
Good luck, got a bunch of friends heading up this weekend and said 10" of ice last Friday so it may hold a while in the top end of that pond... Hope your trip works out... Later J
[signature]
Ouch that hurts!!!! Later J
[signature]
Yup you're correct, the ice never has been good this year, but we got that little reprieve with some cold temps 24 hours a day for a week that kept us alive till now, and even before that we were getting some freezing back at night... Now there's nothing at night in the forecast so it will keep melting day and night... So unless something changes in what happens verses the forecast I think I'll be correct this time... If not I'll be wrong again... Later J
[signature]
Yup I'm not liking the weather this winter... if that's what it was... I mean I don't mind the nice ness, just hate the end of a fun season before I got to catch my big ones... Later J
[signature]
[#0000FF]With apologies to the late great Gene Autry...

Back in the float tube (Saddle) again.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Man you were reading those tea leaves pretty well when you decided to sell all your ice gear... Did you miss a month this year of being in the tube? Can't remember if you got a December trip in or not... I'm thinking February will be wide open fishing for you... Seems like I heard Utah Lake is already open, so I expect those kitty tales to start soon... I'll sob up here as I start trying to set up the new ride... Guess I may need it sooner than I thought... Later J
[signature]
[#0000FF]Tea leaves didn't have anything to do with my decision to quit ice fishing. More a matter of personal stamina, knee stuff, etc. But after this year it would seem that the timing was good.

It was almost exactly a month between my last tubing trip in December and my first one in January.

If the lower lakes open up soon, I am petitioning to open the catfish contest by March 1 this year. I can almost guarantee I will hang some contest worthy kitties even before then. And this year Utah Lake should kick out some contenders. If not, you will find us southern catters all curled up in a fetal position at the end of the contest.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I think we were already considering the March first beginning of the cat contest... This year we don't have a ton of changes to the rules so we can probably pull that off and start then... I don't expect too many early fish to come in, only a few of you kitty whisperers that can charm them that time of year, so I don't think you'll over load me with too much work... time will tell... Good luck till then getting the fish warmed up and ready... Later J
[signature]
The 10 day forecast hurts my heart. I look forward to ice fishing every year. By far my favorite kind of fishing. This year has been rough. Not only ice condition but catch rate as well. Hopefully I can finish better than I’ve started.
[signature]
Cowboy Up!
Boy I'm with you there. So much hope and promise for this year and then it just hasn't turned out for me. Oh well maybe the high country will give me something to hope for. Good luck to you. Later J
[signature]
I don't put too much stock into 10 day forecasts, 7 days is pushing my trust level! Average temps for February are only a couple degrees warmer than January. Any lakes above 6000ft should be fine for a while but if this trend continues through February slush will be an issue earlier than normal. I'm hoping the last 2 months of winter get cold!
[signature]