Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple DIY carrying case for fish finder/Pineview report
So I just picked up the Garmin Striker 4 and took it out on Sat to Pineview to test it out. At the time I just had the unit and no bag/box/way to carry it. What a pain that was trying to use a bucket with a battery, long cable, transducer and head unit tipping over on the ice.

So I decided to make my own. I picked up the small tool box for $13 on amazon and modified it. I mounted the bracket on the top that the head unit can snap in and out of. I also made a notch for the transducer cable. I had to notch it because the ducer wont fit thru a small hole, and this unit came with a long cable because it is for use in a boat too. I bundled up the extra cable and zip tied it tight so it also wont fit thru a small hole. The other side I drilled 2 holes, one for power, the 2nd for the transducer cable. Took me all of about 30 minutes to do this (with some help from my sons lol), and I think it will work well.

As far as the fishing we were there on Saturday, north of cemetary point. We started in 35-40 feet of water and had no bites. Moved in to around 20-25 and my boys caught 2 small perch and 1 catfish. It was slow but as long as the boys get a few we are good, and we got to test out the new Garmin. Ice was about 7 inches and the edges were good then.

I think this Garmin unit is a great deal for around $120. You can also get the unit with a carrying bag, battery, charger, etc for around $200. It can mark waypoints/has GPS, has traditional sonar for use in a boat or kayak, and also a flasher mode. It definitely helped us catch those 3 fish, compared to fishing blind.
[signature]
Nice job on the case (we've done the same kind of set up for one of our finders) and your boy caught a few fish so all in all a successful day.
Looking for advise.

I have a Garmin Striker 7sv in my boat and love it. Question is....
For about the same $ as the Striker 4, I can get an ice transducer and extra power cable for my 7sv. Would it be better to spend the $ to convert my 7sv to a portable unit, or just buy the striker 4?
Or are there other ice fishing units that would be better for the same price?
[signature]
GOOD WORK ON THE BOX AND THE SMILING BOYS[fishon]
[signature]
Yes i just got my striker 4. Still in its shipping box .Tell me about easy or not easy operation. Does the GPS show location clearly, was the screen easy to see in the sunny day.
I have a good, older hummingbird, with no GPS and this looked like a good unit, if I can make good way points. Did you use the "flasher" on the ice? Thank you for the detailed information and picture s. I'll probably make it permanent in my boat.
[signature]
I've got a Striker 4 and yes the display is god in sunlight. On the GPS there is no map so you just see points and tracks on the screen with no other references.

I also made a very similar carrier out of a large Plano ammo box. I added foam to protect the unit and battery from sliding around. I also added a RAM mount up top so I can position the unit any direction I need. Then I mounted a Scotty Kayak transducer arm to the other end of the lid so I can put the transducer level in the hole so it reads well.

When the ice is off I can take the whole setup and put it in my canoe with the RAM mount and transducer arm. I can also put it on my pontoon float tube with the same fittings and putting the battery in a side pocket.
[signature]
Fishnate summed it up well. The flasher mode is nice and easy to use. Super bright display.
[signature]
If anyone is interested you can buy it on Amazon for $108. They have assesiors that were good to. It does need to be bolted down to something.
[signature]