Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WHEN DO THE WALLEYES START TO MOVE IN FOR SPAWN?
SO IN THE AREA OF DEER CREEK AND UTAH LAKES. WHAT TIME OF THIS TIME OF YEAR DO THE WALLEYE START TO MIGRATE AND IS IT AFFECTED BY TEMP MORE THAN CALENDAR? WHAT AREAS DO THEY TYPICALLY LIKE TO LOOK FOR AND WHERE ARE THE MOST LIKELY BETS OF FINDING THEM WITH THE CURRENT LOW WATER SITUATION? THANKS

LATERS,
[signature]
At Deer creek try in April the first part, the walleye spawn time takes place when the water

temp. reaches the mid 40's, but the calendar (lenth of day) will always be the main factor.

walleyes like rock rubble and current (wind blown shore) to spawn. there are still alot of

walleye that spawn up the river but there are more that spawn in the lake, and at deer creek

that could be just about anywhere, most of the shore is rock rubble. find a wind blown

shore line with good rock rubble (golf ball to greatfruit) size and try there. if you find

a good spot remember it because they will be there year after year.

later chuck
[signature]
Good reply utwalleye, got any target areas you want to share? [crazy]
[signature]
Willard is pretty much the same way. Theres so much rock on the dikes, and so many places of gravel and such that the eyes can be anywhere in tha lake, including up the inlet. But its always a changing situation. Water levels and water quality can effect the spawn. Sometimes the real nasty, thick, mud water, that you can almost walk on its so thick, can move willards eyesto a different spawning location, but it may not be far.

The walleye spawn is always a funny one. Sometimes the pre spawn, where the eyes move up in staging areas or actually into spawning areas awaiting the spawn, can be a good time to get into them, and the actual spawn is crazy, sometimes it can last a long time, sometimes it very short lived.

Theres a zillion different ideas out there about walleyes only spawning under the moon light, water temps, current, and the length of the days. Its an interesting subject.

I have heard that in most canadian lakes that have ice on until may or so, the eyes spawn under the ice every year. Indicating that the lentgh of days does in fact have more to do with the spawn than the water temp. But i have also heard that in southern warmer climates the water temp puches the spawn into earlier modes. Here in utah, I think utwalleye is right, if you focus on the length of the days, and factor in the past years spawn time frames, you will have a pretty good idea.

One thing that is for sure, the spawn is cool, but you cant beat the post spawn - pre summer bite. I think thats the most consistent, and easiest time of year to get into hungry active walleyes, in relativley large groups.

I have been eyeballing the calendar at work making sure no one else takes the post spawn off. I would hate to get turned down for a week off during the prime time because too many guys already took it off.

A good indicator of the walleye spawn in utah waters is the closing dates of inlets and spawn areas. Snagging is all too popular a way to get eyes in an inlet during spawning time.
[signature]
Predator-

I know you said that the spawn times can vary quite a bit, but what about the post spawn? Is it more predictable and longer lasting? What water do you prefer to hit for them?

The only walleye that I've ever caught were out of the irrigation canals around the valley and they were never over 12", so I've got a goal this year to get into them.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]I have fished walleyes in Utah Lake and the Jordan River going back to the early sixties. I have taken walleyes out of Deer Creek since the late 70's. Here are a few of my "rememberies".[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Utwalleye gave good advice on Deer Creek. It is not as easy to target walleyes any time of year. You really have to work out the times and the spots from personal experience. And when the water levels go wacko, it's a whole new game every year.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]In Utah Lake, I have seen walleyes staging for the spawn as early as mid February...especially around the hot springs at Lincoln Beach and near Saratoga. I have taken them up the Provo River, before they closed it (thankfully) during the first two weeks of March. In those same years, they were also showing up around the rocks near the Provo River mouth and around the other rocky shorelines of the lake. During the spawn, aggressive males are much easier to catch than egg-laden females.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]At Willard Bay, you can find spawn happy walleyes anytime from mid march on, depending on water temps and water levels. Again, they hit the rocks at sundown and through the night when the water is agitated (windy).[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]As Predator points out, the post spawn period is when you have your best shot at catching numbers of walleyes...and some of the larger females. Once they dump their bucket (of eggs), they have a big empty space to fill. That period usually coincides with warming springtime water temps. This is usually sometime in May, through the first of July, when the water temps go over 65 to 70 degrees and the wallies get stressed and sluggish. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]You can actually catch them all through the summer, mostly at night. But, when they are actively feeding, they will hit all day in the murky waters of Utah Lake, or around the rocks at Willard when the wind is blowing onshore. I have had some phenomenal catches by positioning my tube away from shore and fighting the waves while casting right up onto the rocks. Some of the strikes occur almost as soon as the jig hits the water.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]In Utah Lake, the big walleye stack up at the outlet, where the lake flows out into the Jordan River. Use a big black plastic jig or marabou and bounce it down the current. The big mamas dine well on small mudcats and white bass going downriver for the summer. I have caught them all day long wading or kicking against the current in my tube.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Hope that gives a bit more info on the timeline. It really does seem like ever year brings an entirely new set of conditions to work out.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Hint: Chartreuse and hot pink work early in the cycle...and white too. Later, go to yellow, black, black and chartreuse and especially purple. Purple is probably the most overlooked walleye color.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
hmmm...yea spawning is probably a good time to catch walleyes....but the best time will be in mid september and in october at Lincoln Beach....nothing will beat that ever!!!!!i've been going out there every year around that time and always catch my limit of 6 everytime i go........jigs color does not matter here at this time...throw anything and any color u will be able to catch one[Smile] .......so you guys should give it a try this year....go out around mid september or early october
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Right on. Those toothy guys really feed before the water gets too cold in the fall. I have taken most of my biggest fish in the late fall.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Willard walleyes act the same. As soon as the first cool winds of September start cooling and muddying the lake, you can have some great days in fairly shallow water. I have done well with black and white or black and chartreuse, but as you point out, the color is not the main factor when they are actively feeding. If you find them, you can usually catch them.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
i have found that wallys in utlake are real good as soon as the water hits bout 48 out at bird island 16-20 in not uncommon onsunny days use red grubs overcast use green
[signature]
Try the east side of scott hollow cove, I've caught some good ones there, most of east sides of the coves at D.C. are pretty much wind blown. the shore line between wallsberg and the island resort is also pretty good, it's just a big shore line, lots of places. the fish that run up the river now hold out side any where from 100 to 500 yards away from the mouth. with the low water look for the first 20 foot depth of water and fish from 15 to 20 feet of water around that area. As for lure, I
like dark green color twister tails. driftting a lindy rig will do good also. later chuck
[signature]
Hey UTWALLEYE, thanks for the info and the tips, I will try them this year, I have always had better luck on the west side, but it was for the smaller males, never got into the size and quantity that I was getting into at YUBA, guess I need to get there more often and just fish it more. thanks. [Wink]
[signature]
hey man whats up? im off next tuesday. need to go soon. call me on cell. cya ken
[signature]
Since this seems to be the post to ask Walleye spawning questions, I thought I'd throw this in.

I read somewhere, that Walleye will spawn in the smallest rock available that will not move in the given current.

First, what do some of the veteran eye anglers think?

Second, wouldn't this mean in most lakes, they would spawn in the mud?

From what I've seen, the statement holds reasonably true. However, from what I've seen, the Walleye will search for current to spawn in. From the smallest movement from and old river bed all the way up to the biggest inlet to the lake. These areas are rarely mud.

Thought I'd throw that out to the pros and see what they think. Thanks for any help guys and gals.
[signature]
I am no pro, and my home walleye water is willard, willard is a lot different than other walleye waters.

I will take a stab at your questions as they pertain to willard though.

Many times walleyes in willard will use the large rocks on the dike to spawn in. They may key in on areas that have smaller rocks mixed in with the larger rock, but its hard to locate these types of areas under the water since the entire dike looks the same, and the water is so unclear.

Current is good. But theres only one real inlet to willard, and many, many times in the spring it is a mud slide, not really water. Huge chunks of debris, and mud so thick you could walk on it. In cases like this, guys like to focus on areas near the inlet along the dike. But like tube dude said, walleyes will use lots of places on the dike, and areas of wind blown "current" can be a factor.

Some years however, the walleyes move all the way up into the top of the inlet to spawn, and use the entire channel. theres some small gravel in there, that I am sure they use. But thank goodness the DWR closes fishing during that time on willard.

Fish are free creatures. While the majority can be patterned, you always have to factor in environmental conditions, and just plain crazy potential. I am sure that some walleyes spawn in the mud somewhere in the world. I am sure some spawn in weed beds. The generalization may be that they prefer gravel beds, but if you are in a lake that has no gravel, the fish still have to spawn somewhere.

Like I said, I am no expert. Not even close. Not even on willard. But those are my opinions on the subject.
[signature]
FROM MY EXP WALLEYE IN UTAH LAKE TEND TO PICK SPOTS WITH GOLF BALL SIZED ROCK UP TO OLD PEACES CONCRETE THE SIZE OF VW HOODS. SO FOR WHAT ITS WORTH THEY WILL ADAPT TO WHAT THEY HAVE TO WORK WITH. SOLID SETS CROSSINEYE
[signature]
Hey Curtis, from what I've learned and read walleye will use what every they have to to get the job done. I've read they will spawn in back water, weeds and what every else will work for them. don't know about the mud, don't see how the eggs would get enough oxygen. walleyes drop there eggs in rock rubble so the eggs will fall down in the small cracks where other predadors can't find them. when the eggs are droped the walleye don't stay and gaurd them, so they are on there own at that point. I'm no expert by all means but I have read alot about this fish and I've worked deer creek over pretty good in the last 8 years. when I said fish the east sides of the coves thats because the wind comes from the dam side. I do fish that west back, the

RR side, I just fish the east side of those coves more because thats where the wind hits. I could go on for hours with this but I have to get back to work for now. hope this helps some of you.. later chuck
[signature]