Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat windshield glass replacement

Coming home from Bear Lake last Tuesday , I was passed by several cars and trucks in a big hurry to get around the my truck towing a boat. Anyway Somewhere on the climb out before the rest stop at the top the walk-through section of my windshield was shattered by a rock or something .So my question is have any of you ever had to replace any of the glass on your boats and are there any recommended companies to check on? I really don't want to use Plexiglas.
[signature]
if the glass is a "curved" piece, you will have to order it through your boat manufacturer and it will likely cost you a pretty penny. But if its a flat piece of glass, I simply take mine to a glass place that does house windows, etc. Logan Glass is who I used before, but there are many of them around. They did an excellent job both on my boat and my work boats.
[signature]

Thanks Scott , The section that broke is the middle walk-through fold over section to get to the Bow. ( Flat Glass) .
[signature]
i tried replacing my walk through glass with some thing the glass shop made ,it cracked immediately and was a waste of money ,walk troughs are tempered glass not laminated like wind shields, i went to the manufacturer an the glass with frame was 350.00 and has been perfect since
[signature]

Hi mtncat1 , I was able to get that section of glass replaced. I went to Moyes Glass on Wall Ave. in Ogden. They replaced the glass with tempered glass and is just fine , and the cost was less than $100.00.
[signature]
yeah i had jones paint and glass do mine and it was less than durable ,but to be fair they warned me that it wasn't the right glass and said they couldn't get glass like the original .
[signature]

Guess we'll see what happens.
[signature]
hopefully they found the right glass and your good for years , its so rare to break a boat windshield anyway ,it makes replacements hard to come buy ,mine broke when the wind took it out of my hand
[signature]

I know you have been to Bear Lake , I just had several vehicles that just couldn't wait to get around the boat trailer when I was leaving Bear Lake. I'm sure it was just a rock from one of them.
[signature]
probably was one of them ,the boat is so close to your vehicle when towing it would be hard for it to come off your tire and make it up to the windshield .
[signature]
When I bought my boat the tow from Everett Wash. revealed a rock chip on the passenger side. A Bear L trip revealed another rock chip on drivers side. So both side are chipped now. The center walk thru is Plexiglas which I will replace eventually. Its mainly not what's coming off of your vehicles tires and it will but what everyone else is slinging off of theirs from any direction. From your tires its mostly lower into the hull chipping into either the paint or jelcoat.
[signature]
I am about to order one of those nifty windshield protectors, they are $100-120 if memory serves and are worth it from what I have read, may even make my own.
[signature]
what are they i haven't seen them
[signature]
[quote mtncat1]what are they i haven't seen them[/quote]

Called the truxedo [url "https://www.cabelas.com/product/TruXedo-Boat-Windshield-Cover/1600644.uts"]https://www.cabelas.com/product/TruXedo-Boat-Windshield-Cover/1600644.uts[/url] I may make one out of marine carpet or that reflective insulated bubble wrap stuff, we have a heavy duty sewing machine that I might as well put to good use.
[signature]
One should be able purchase material from Joanne's to make a windshield travel cover. You can also contact Brian's canvas for an estimate. Either way it should be easy enough to make.
[signature]
[quote Bduck]One should be able purchase material from Joanne's to make a windshield travel cover. You can also contact Brian's canvas for an estimate. Either way it should be easy enough to make.[/quote]

I may even trim a yoga mat to fit for now.
[signature]

Hi fish hntr , I bought one of those windshield protectors that you mentioned, I haven't had a chance to try it out yet . But it will be on the boat the next time I got out.
[signature]
I had a shattered windshield in March. I ordered one from Taylor Made systems and it took ten weeks just to get a replacement piece!! It arrived shattered in a million and one pieces as they did not pack it well at all. I got them to send me another one after some haggling with them as they made two when I ordered the first one so they would have one for their stock. The second one arrived in one piece and I installed it. The service I received from them was less than stellar that’s for sure and it really cut into my fishing season! I heard about a glass shop that has a water jet cutter so they can cut tempered glass in Salt Lake but I don’t know the name of the shop. Good luck hopefully your experience will be much better than mine.
[signature]

Hi John , I went to Moyes Glass on Wall Ave. in Ogden. They were able to get me a piece of tempered glass to do the job.
[signature]