Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview Surprise
Pineview has not been kind to me this winter. The first two trips were about the same. A few perch here and there, but nothing to get excited about. My fishing partner and I decided to give it one last try last Tuesday. The fishing started out about the same. A couple of perch here and there, and then the surprise...

I had just done a bait check and was rapidly descending to the bottom when my reel stopped spinning around 20 feet. A quick look at the sonar showed a massive echo that had intercepted my Hali tipped with perch meat. I set the hook and the fight was on. Over the next 20 minutes I was amazed as the large Tiger Musky made run after run. I expected my 4 pound test line to snap at any moment. The shock absorption of the noodle rod and the good drag of my Freefall reel saved the day. The length of Hali and metal chain protected the 4 lb flouro from being cut by it's teeth.

Having never hooked a Tiger Musky before I was amazed the first time I saw it through the hole. After several unsuccessful attempts to steer its snout into the hole, I was shocked when it just came right on up. After snapping a few photos, and admiring it's massive mouth full of teeth, I grabbed the forceps and unhooked the Hali. On cue, it slid back down through the hole and left in haste. Call me chicken, but when I saw those teeth, I made an executive decision NOT to get my hands anywhere them and not try to lift it out of the hole! The Hali hook had been almost straightened, and 6 feet of line was frayed and fuzzy from constant rubbing against the ice on the bottom of the hole. Truly amazed that it all held together.

Not sure of the over length, somewhere between 36-40 inches. It was probably the largest fish I have caught outside of Alaska. Nice way to end the ice fishing season.

[inline Musky2.jpg]

[inline Musky1.jpg]
[signature]
Awesome! Sure makes up for those onesie-twosey days before... that had to be blast. Thanks for sharing...
Thats AWESOMW!
[signature]
great job. getting the toothy beast up on 4# test.[fishon]
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Wow NICE!!
[signature]
Sweet!!! Much better than a batch of perch... Thanks for a great story... Later J
[signature]