Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 DWR Fishing Guidebook
[url "https://wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks/2018_pdfs/2018_fishing.pdf"]FISHING GUIDEBOOK ONLINE[/url]

Now using a two-year regulation cycle
The Division has moved to a two-year cycle for changes to Utah’s fishing regulations, and the next two-year cycle will begin in 2019.
There will still be a printed guide-book each year, but the Division will notmake substantial changes to regulations until the two-year cycle is complete.
The main goal of this change is to make fishing easier for Utah anglers.
Frequent rule changes are sometimes confusing and difficult to follow.
The secondary goal of this change is to keep Utah’s regulation cycle alignedwith those of Arizona and Wyoming. That will be helpful for anglers who fish
at Lake Powell and Flaming Gorge.
Changes to regulations may still be necessary on an emergency basis.
You can find any emergency changes online at
[url "https://wildlife.utah.gov/utah-fishing-guidebook.html"]https://wildlife.utah.gov/utah-fishing-guidebook.html[/url]
[signature]
as always great info pat!
[signature]
I wonder if there will be any changes to Lake Trout at the Gorge in 2019. I would support a mandatory catch and release over 25 inches and no limit under 25 inches. [fishon]
[signature]
[#0000FF]If you have a personal interest in getting specific changes, you should attend the appropriate RAC meetings and voice your recommendations.
[url "https://wildlife.utah.gov/public_meetings/pdf/2018_schedule.pdf"]
2018 RAC MEETING SCHEDULE[/url]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]From the Guidebook:
Quote:[#000000]The Utah Wildlife Board passes the rules and laws summarized in this guidebook. There are seven board members, and each serves a six-year term. Appointed by the governor, board members are not Division employees. The Division’s director serves as the board’s executive secretary but does not have a vote on wildlife policies. Before board members make changes to wildlife rules, they listen to recommendations from Division biologists. They also receive input from the public and various interest groups via the regional advisory council (RAC) process. If you have feedback or suggestions for board members, you can find their contact information online at wildlife.utah.gov.[/font]
I’m not a big fan of the RAC process. While the Utah Wildlife Board (UWB) does receive input from the RAC process, they are not bound to take any of it under consideration when making rule changes and in 40 plus years I’ve lived in Utah, I have seen very little evidence that RAC input has made any significant changes to hunting and fishing laws in Utah. I find it much more productive to correspond with Division personnel and discuss issues with them one on one. I’ve found them very eager to take input from actual hunters and fishermen on specific issues. And their inputs to the UWB are much more influential to the UWB Members – IMHO.

I think the new 2-year cycle for rule changes is a good thing. And I also think that, unless there is a major rule change in the second year of the cycle, Utah doesn’t really need to print a new Guidebook every year. Idaho prints their Guidebook every 3 years. I’m sure that publishing costs are not cheap and the savings from printing the Guidebook every 2 years – along with the 2-year rule change cycle – would be a substantial savings in the DWR budget.

[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]"I’ve lived in Utah, I have seen very little evidence that RAC input has made any significant changes to hunting and fishing laws in Utah."

[#0000FF]I agree. I have had my bouts of "jousting at windmills" with the RAC process...and have been disheartened by the results (or not) I have seen. However, the new online surveys they now provide seem to get some consideration...at least from the folks in the field.

I gotta say that I have seen more proactive movement from DWR in the past couple of years.
[/#0000FF] [/#800000][/font]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]I agree. I have had my bouts of "jousting at windmills" with the RAC process...and have been disheartened by the results (or not) I have seen. However, the new online surveys they now provide seem to get some consideration...at least from the folks in the field.

I gotta say that I have seen more proactive movement from DWR in the past couple of years.
[/#0000FF][/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I absolutely, 100% agree with your assertion of the value of the newly instituted on-line surveys.[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."