Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Sand Wash recently anyone?
A few of us from Price are headed over to Big Sand Wash north of Bridgeland tomorrow. We fished it last Thursday and there was about 10 inches of solid ice at the Sportsman's Access on the east side.
Has anyone fished over there in the last few days? I'm concerned with the current mild weather the ice may have become unsafe. If anyone fished it last weekend or even today, I would appreciate some information on the ice conditions.

We did fairly good on Thursday. We caught around 40 perch with the largest being about 9 inches. One of my friends landed a dandy 23", 6 lb. rainbow that he caught on a small white paddle bug tipped with a perch eye.

I'll post a report tomorrow night if we are able to fish over there. If we can't fish we'll just have a nice long drive.

Mike
[signature]
It may be too late for your trip, but I had friends who fished it last Saturday and they got on fine, but the temps have been in the low 50's since then, so who knows? They also didn't find perch in the typical places. One guy didn't find any from 12' out to 40' and another only found a few out at 50'. They're on the move as they sense a thaw coming on! Good luck!
[signature]
Just got home from there......3 of us went, but only the young guy (35) decided to get on the ice. We gave him an hour to fish while we walked around picking up cans & bottles for the recycler. A group of 4 already on when we arrived at 11am, and they had a plank ready at Sportsman's Access. Lots of open water, and cool wind, so we two old fogies (68) waited in the car. 20 years ago, we'd have gotten on, too.
7" of ice, 9" perch found in 32', plus bonus of two 20" rainbows. Never been there, tho heard about it. Shoreline looks very tasty for perch, smallies, and wallies.
[signature]
The four guys you saw on the ice was my party. I would have put the board back across for you guys if you had wanted to join us. Your younger friend did pretty good for the short time he fished with us. He got several very nice rainbows.

Although this is our last ice outing at Big Sand Wash, we made the long drive worth it. I will post a report a little later when I've downloaded my photos and finished my Papa Murphy's pizza. (Wife's turn to cook)

Mike
[signature]
"Shoreline looks very tasty for perch, smallies, and wallies."

I wouldn't get too excited about the walleye in there just yet. The population density just isn't there yet. My friends and I have done enough fishing in there for the perch, SMB and trout that one of us should have caught at least a couple by now. We've targeted lots of prime areas with the right stuff with no success, yet. Starvation would be a much better bet for walleye for now, but I'll keep monitoring it just to make sure [cool]. DWR hasn't seen any success on their sterile walleye stocking there yet either.[fishon]
[signature]