Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Sand Wash report Tuesday 2/6
Well without hard intel about the ice conditions at Big Sand Wash, three of my Price area friends and I headed north this morning. Upon arrival at the Sportsman's Access area on the east side of the reservoir we were greeted by very dicey looking ice conditions. After a careful survey of the edges we decided we could safely get on the ice with the help of my 10 foot long 2x8. We used the plank to span a gap of about four feet and got onto the ice which was about 7 to 8 inches thick near the shore. We walked out to an area we fished last Thursday and almost immediately starting catching some perch in water that was between 28 and 32 feet deep. We used small jigs tipped with mealworms or perch eyes. The larger perch were just about 9 inches long, big enough to justify the fillet effort for Coconut Perch or cowder. We also iced a few rainbows using the same baits and depths. I lost two nice rainbows that straightened my light wire hook and it forced me to switch to a slightly heavier hook on my small jigs.

As Perchinski mentioned, his younger and more adventurous friend came out and joined us late in the morning and he had success catching some perch and several very nice rainbows. The ice where we were fishing was between 7 and 8 inches thick and still in pretty good shape. However, there was much more open water down by the dam that expanded significantly during the day today. The warm open water and wind driven wave action is working quickly to remove the safe ice from this reservoir.

I would strongly suggest other waters for ice fishing as this week progresses. Considering the difficulty in getting on the ice and the rapidly deteriorating ice thickness, I don't consider this water safe anymore this season for ice fishing. If anyone wants to try it, please be careful and do not take any chances. Do not go out alone and have a rescue throw rope with your party to assist anyone who might go through the ice.

The first photo shows the conditions when we arrived at the point where we got on the ice. The perch photo is of the perch I kept today. Our group probably caught around 100 perch and we invited about one third of those to join us for dinner. A few of the bigger rainbows were also retained.

Remember, be careful out there!

Mike
[signature]
looks like you guys did reasonably sellout there. Did you drive by Starvy on the way? If so, is there any ice or is is it boating time there?
[signature]
Thanks for that report and especially the photos! Looks pretty crazy out there compared to 2 weeks ago. That wind action on the ice is pretty interesting. Sounds like you guys did better on rainbows than most do in that spot. The thaw has the fish on the move!
[signature]
There is no significant ice on Starvation. What little ice had formed in the back bays is now gone or piled up on the shore. It's boating time at Starvy. I'm pretty sure the boat ramp is clear and ready to use.

Mikr
[signature]
Thanks! Think I'll get the boat ready for next week new moon.
[signature]
Go for it and let us know how you do. I'm thinking my Lund is coming out of hibernation early this spring.

Mike
[signature]
Great report, have you ever fished Big Sandwash from your boat?
[signature]
I have not fished BSW from my boat but I plan to do it this spring or summer. I would probably camp at Starvation State Park and go over to Big Sand Wash on one of the days.

Mike
[signature]
Check this out from today! Ice is off at Sand Wash!
[signature]
There's an upside to your photo, the holes are easier to drill!
[signature]
[quote TopH2O]There's an upside to your photo, the holes are easier to drill![/quote]

[#0000FF]True. But you gotta use ice cleats with floaties on them. And all that PVC stuff for rod holders and sonar stands doesn't float too well either.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][quote TopH2O]There's an upside to your photo, the holes are easier to drill![/quote]

[#0000FF]True. But you gotta use ice cleats with floaties on them. And all that PVC stuff for rod holders and sonar stands doesn't float too well either.[/#0000FF][/quote]

Your PVC assesories don't float? You should have used the spray in foam like I did. My Showdown sonar stand doubles as a PFD! [Wink]

Mike
[signature]
[#0000FF]That explains it. Spray the foam inside the PVC. Got it. I value my body more than the accessories so I been shooting the foam inside my pants and coat. Man, that stuff is not comfy when it firms up.

If'n it ain't PVC it ain't nuttin'.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I've always wondered why the ladies seem to follow you around at the boat ramp.
[Tongue]
[signature]
[#0000FF]And I always thought it was the Channel Cat #5 aftershave I use...when I shave.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]