Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Ice Thickness?
I know its been posted already but i'm curious how safe a side by side would be to take on the ice. The last report says little to no snow on the ice and I don't want to take my snowmobile and tear up the track with no snow. Do you think fishing the marina with a teryx4 would be doable and safe? The research I have done says 10" of ice will hold up to 3000 lbs but i'm still a little hesitant.

Thanks
[signature]
I fished out of east chicken creek last thursday. I drove my snowmobile out on the ice with no problems. Where i fished the ice was 13". I drove around to some of the bays. Their are alot of pressure ridges just outside chicken creek. We drove around them and was just fine. Fishing was ok. We caught about 20 between 2 of us. Colors and choice of bait was hit and miss. We mainly used tube jigs in white and pink tipped with meal worms . Hope this helps
[signature]
Thank you i'm hoping we have a good day Saturday we typically can find the fish. I just hope the side by side doesn't end up at the bottom of the lake [Wink]
[signature]
Be very careful around the pressure ridges, they are opening up with this warm weather. If you drove your side by side over the one at haws point last weekend you would have been swimming. We used the shore to get around them on our snowmobile and wheeler.
[signature]
I love my TeryX not sure if I would want to put mine on the ice around here this year. A couple of us are headed to the Soldier Creek side in the morning with our snowmobiles hope it is solid I haven't seen anyone post on the ice conditions or fishing on that end of the lake.
[signature]
We will be sticking close to shore it sounds like we may bring the snowmobile just in case. This year hasn't been a good ice year typically by February you could drive a truck on the berry if you can access it. Was the road to renegade packed in with snow?
[signature]
Just got off of strawberry. Ice was between 12 and 14 in everywhere we drilled. We went straight out from the marina towards Haws point. Fish just to the right of Haws Point. We seen a lot of four-wheelers and we took our snowmobiles but did not see any side by sides. It was 14 degrees when we got there and when we left at 3 it was 28. Fishing was pretty consistent all day using anything white-tipped with a Nightcrawler. Ice was popping all day, it was certainly making ice today.
[signature]
Thats where we are headed good to hear the ice is still building this warm weather is great except for the ice [:/] Thank you for the info!
[signature]
I'm not sure where you plan to go on the Soldier Creek side, but I would be real careful if you go anywhere near the marina. I drove to the marina on Saturday and there were people there but they did not go out very far. You could see where the thicker ice was and then it gave way to some (my guess) thinner ice that was clear. Nobody was on the ice that was clear, they were just in the two little bays to the north and south of the marina.
[signature]
Can anyone tell me how far out from Haws Creek the pressure ridge has opened up? Is it possible to go around it farther out on the lake to get to the narrows by snowmobile? I know the ice is good out there I just don't know how far out the pressure ridge has opened up and if I need to plan on going overland to bypass Haws.
[signature]
Thanks for the info, we are leaving in a few minutes, not sure where we will access at on that side, we may go to the road going to the dam.
[signature]
The fishing was slow for us, we maybe picked up a dozen between 3 of us in 4hrs. fishing, ice ran from 5 to 10 inches where I checked. We went out to the right from the soldier creek ramp. The open water was really starting to show up when we left about 2:30 I would think you may be able to launch a boat from the launch ramp by the week end. I wouldn't take a machine out of there again, several pressure cracks that were about a foot wide when we came back. If you go be careful.
[signature]
I have stayed off the ice this year. Just couldn't quite get into it for some reason.
[signature]
In most cases probably a good idea Buddy.
[signature]
I think these above normal temps are giving everyone a false sense that spring is right around the corner, its February 9th!! What little ice melts during the day is re-freezing at night. I'd be willing to bet that it's mid April at best before people are boating on the Berry. But it's been a crazy winter so far so maybe ice off in March might be a reality!!
[signature]
Ice was a good foot at the marina last night and it was singing. No issues getting on the ice. There are pressure cracks and ridges.
[signature]