Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to Fish?
So where can I fish around Cache Valley tomorrow? Ice looks too scary and don't know if anything is boatable yet. Wind forecast makes Bear Lake look out. Anyone know of safe ice or open water? Is this the weekend I catch up on chores? Later J
[signature]
Heard the Bear river is giving up some nice eyes and even a few worthy cats already.

Ran up to Mantua hoping to try out a new spud me and Jr made yesterday. Knew the ice would be getting weak there but figured we could stand on the rocks and chisel away a little still. Got there to find a lot of edges are open water & about 1/2" of slush is all that is covering everything else. Even small rocks I tossed as far as I could plunked through without effort. Couple more days at 50° or an hour of stiff breeze and it should all be open again. 2 weeks ago I fished on 6" of ice there. Can't believe how quick it went away this year.
[signature]
I’m planning on taking the grandson up to Montpelier later today, should still have plenty of good ice. Last Sunday I took a drive down to Porcupine and there was enough open water to inspire me to give the Kokes a try tomorrow.
I didn’t go all the way down to the water but the ramp was free of ice and snow.
[signature]
Hey thank you for the tips, I ended up working on the boat and doing somethings with my family. Fun day but no tugs. Thanks again. J
[signature]
I'd like to see the reports from that weekend. Thanks for the tips. I'd really like to try porcupine it's been a long time since I've made it up there. Thank you. J
[signature]
[quote Brighamfish]Heard the Bear river is giving up some nice eyes and even a few worthy cats already.

Nice to hear .. Guess I should of stayed closer to home Friday. Tried Benson Marina, not even the little mud cats wanted to play.

Did you hear what part of the Bear? Down here around the bird refuge , or further up north?
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
The guys I talked to usually fish in the Bear River City or Corinne areas. I caught some really nice Wally's in Corinne last fall too. I'll probably get after em pretty hard once ice season is over, Soooooo tasty!
[signature]
If you want to go north of the border Montpelier still has plenty of good ice. Caught plenty of perch, grandson had a blast.
Made it to Porcupine today. It was a beautiful morning to be on the water, hard to believe it’s February. Stayed until the wind picked up in the early afternoon. Didn’t want to push my luck being in a kayak with the water at 36.7*. I saw kokanee on the sonar, most at 50’-75’ but couldn’t get any to cooperate. What ice is left is disappearing fast.
[signature]
Thanks for that report that is fun to hear about. Thanks a bunch!!! Later J
[signature]