Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 2/11
Decided to get the new boat out and play a little today. Figuring the fishing would probably be slow the main point of the trip was to get the Merc past break-in. Found the fish stacked up in big numbers in 20+ feet over on the west side, as Pat suggested last week. Unfortunately they were all tight lipped. I dragged crawler harnesses on lead core rigs, little cranks and even tried to jig em up vertically. Not even a nibble today. Still nice to get out though.

Air temp was 44, water temp was 38, beer temp was 40. Couple more months and we'll be killin' em (hopefully).
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad you were able to get out and fire up the motor. Sorry the fish did not want to play.

Your report not only confirms what I suspected, about the fish still congregating on the west side. It also helps prove the point that finding fish is only part of the problem. If they are not active you may as well be fishing in your bathtub.

I have had a lot of discussions with "PETA types" who argue that using electronics is unfair to the fish. What they are not smart enough to realize is that sonar only helps you find fish...not catch them. The real downside of sonar is that it rubs your nose in it when you find fish but can't catch them.

We used to fish in ignorant bliss...rationalizing that there were no fish present if we couldn't catch anything. Now there are days we go home and jump off our tackle boxes after seeing fish on the screen all day but not getting so much as a sniff.

In fishing, sometimes ignorance is bliss. Some anglers must be deliriously happy.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
That's an impressive bunch of fish, but it's tough when they don't want to play... What's worse is when they are playing with everyone else and won't play with you... Had one of those days on Friday, very frustrating... Still can't decide what I was doing wrong.... Thanks for the post and info... Later J
[signature]