Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice off colors
What color lures baits flies work best for ice off ?
[signature]
For shark or pirahna?
[signature]
That's funny I was thinking more along the line of trout. At places such as East canyon. Or Lost creek. Flaming gorge ?
[signature]
Can't help you with slimers.
[signature]
I really have come to prefer marabou over plastics. I like, in this order:
Black marabou, olive marabou, purple marabou in 1/16 oz. All from our friend Tubedude.
[signature]
Thanks for your input. That helps me narrow it down.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Not all trout are the same...even the same species in the same lake. And their food resources are different in different lakes. So it is tough to make any hard and fast suggestions that will work on all waters for different species.

Actively feeding fish will usually key in on whatever they are eating most...worms, leeches, crawdads, aquatic insects, snails, minnows...whatever. If you can get a look inside a fish you caught, check the tummy contents and use jigs or lures that are close in size and color. The standard "food" colors are the aforementioned black, brown and green.
[/#0000FF][#0000FF][#0000FF][b]They also almost universally go for white jigs.

[/#0000FF]That being said, trout are generally attracted to some hot colors...hot pinks, oranges, chartreuse and even purple. So if you are not getting any love on the drab colors, kick it up a notch with something brighter. This is an especially good tactic early in the year when waters are cold and/or murky. The better the visibility the better chance you will have that the fish will see your offering and munch it.

Always good to go with an assortment of types, sizes and colors. Once you find the fish you can change up your lures and presentations until you find something the fish vote for.
[/b][/#0000FF]
[signature]
We use the same jigs and colors that we use in the summer and ice fishing.
Toss the white tube jig tipped with a worm out to the ice, let it fall off the edge and hook up.
[signature]
Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge and expertise. I hope to post results in the next few months.
[signature]