Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are 2.5 inch tube jigs too big for ice fishing the Berry?
I use 2.5 to 4 inch tube jigs to vertical jig from a boat at the Berry in the summer and it works great. But is 2.5 inch too big when ice fishing or should I be thinking of using something smaller?
[signature]
The short answer is no.

I have used the 5" radical glow jigs at strawberry & caught a lot of fish through he ice. The chartreuse color is my "go to" jig. However, if I notice that fish are passing through without hitting my jig, I will down size & that is often enough to start getting some action. The long answer - it depends on the day!
[signature]
Had a 25 fish day there last week with 2.25" chartreuse jigs so I'm sure you'll be good. Actually just picked up some 3.5" to try here soon. This week was a lot slower fishing with the storm so never got around to breaking them out.
[signature]
Typically no, but I’ve found that the mood of the fish will dictate what I use. Sometimes smaller is better and sometimes not.
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
Big bait big fish....and little fish too! Never underestimate a fishys appetite or its aggression but still just depends on the day!? Being able to fish with two poles helps me decide I always have something big on one and maybe you only get one on that big bait but its usually a good one!
[signature]
I use 3 inch gitzit tube jigs there all the time there one that works best is 3 inch chub brown craw. Or the summer craw color
[signature]