Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber River 10Jan-11Feb04
This obviously covers a time period up to today. During this time Sparky (my golden pup) and I fished the Web between Echo and Rockport about 2-3 times a week. All fishing was done with a combo of a prince nymph and a pearl caddis nymph. About 70-80% caught on the prince (upper). Caught lots of white fish (average 8-10) , browns ranging from 12-18in (avg. 2-3) and even some rainbows from 13-17 1/2in (avg. 1/2). Water varied from slightly off color to dirty with water flow at 20-30 cfs (fairly low) and temps. cold!
For the most part, only kept some white fish since I feel they are every bit as good eating as trout, actually better. Kept a few trout for my friends. Needless to say, in conflict with some fishing reports of the Web, it is great.
Leaky[Wink][crazy]
Sounds good leaky! Good to hear you and sparky are doing fine. I'mm gonna have to fish that area sometime soon. Thanks for keeping us up to date on the "real" fishing conditions of the Weber. Nothing like having the guy in the field telling what's going on.
[signature]
Thanks for the report Leaky, that pup should be getting big by now, almost full size I would think. Do you ever do any ice fishing? WH2
[signature]
It seems like princes catch fish anywhere. You fish any chamois caddis up there? I'll have to hit it on my b-day. Thanks for the report leaky. You fishing near spring chicken inn?

anthony
[signature]
Wh2,

No, I don't do much ice fishing. I like to move around. But------------I love perch. Don't have an ice auger or fish finder, have to use an ax. So, It's kind of hit and miss------ have better luck where I can see what I'm doing. Also I have a fishing buddy (Sparky), 7 mos old golden, that I take with me everywhere. Reading some of the posts on some forums, I'm not sure how welcome he is!!!

I've been thinking about posting a request. If someone could tell me exactly where to go to have a reasonable chance of catching about 10 9-11in perch I would jump on it. I love to eat those guys. Probably just wsihful thinking, but maybe---------, someone would fess up????

[crazy][crazy][crazy]
There are several lakes in the area that you could catch those perch you are looking for. The best right now is Rockport, there are several people that will be there this weekend and I'm sure one of them would be glad to drill you a hole. Echo is another place that you could go for some fast action. You don't need a fish finder and most people are more than happy to give a helping hand and I'm sure you will get a few people to respond to a post for help so ask away. WH2
[signature]
Anthony,

I fish tbetween the 2nd and 3rd turn off from Coalville. I've fished the chamois caddis lots. When the weather warms just a little, I prefer a gray scud that seems to be equally good to the Prince. I like the Prince for all seasons.

[crazy]Leaky
Wh2,

I've been eying the planned activity at Rockport.. Might give you guys a visit. Are you going to be there? Mind if I bring Sparky out on a leach? My problem with Rockport besides knowing where to go is size. Echo, Jordanelle, Rockport all produce perch but I really don't want a mess of 6-8 inchers. Picky, aren't I ? Spoiled!!!!! I know during the summer, I can go to Jordanelle in my tube and get all the good size perch I want, besides great smallies. Did you know that you can catch perch at Mantua now, and not bad size?? I've done that the last several times there. Hope that doesn't mess up the fishery!!!!!!!

[crazy][crazy]
Thanks for the report. It sounds like fun to fish the rivers, something I am going to have to try.
[signature]
I'm not sure if I'm going to be there on the 21st but this weekend I know I won't be there. I've got plans for Bear lake tomorrow and I hope Redmond on Monday. As long as you keep Sparky near you I don't think you will have a problem. I think all three of the lakes you talked about have perch up to 12 inches or so but from what I have been reading on this site Rockport has your best chance of catching bigger perch and the deeper water is the key(35 to 40ft). A few of the bigger perch turn up at Echo too but there are a lot more of the smaller fish there, same with Jordanelle. I think if you know where the bigger perch are at Jordanelle you could talk a few of the guys into going with you and giving it a try but that would mean telling someone about your secert spot. I had heard that Mantua had perch in it but I had not heard they were very big. If you can't find anyone to go with in the next week or so let me know and I'll be glad to go out with you and catch some big perch. WH2
[signature]