Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln beach bummer 3/7
So made a trip to Lincoln beach today to see if the walleye were around. I tried 7 different bait hook over the course of 2 hours and my buddy tried 5 and we came up with nothing. But we weren’t alone. There were 6 other people out enjoying the beautiful weather with no wind and no fish Sad I talked to most of them and they were all switching from going for cats to bass and getting nil. But the weather is getting nicer and my persistence has got to pay off. I’ll continue to post what is going on down here.
[signature]
Was that you on the south end of the South dike? I was sitting on the North end. Seems like I'd tried pretty much everything while I was there. I even got creative with the combination of stuff I was attaching to my line. The best I got was one tug on a mouse tail I'd drowned in that scent stuff right after you left. I also talked to someone on a kayak that was fishing that first spring. He said he could see them on his fish finder, but couldn't get anything to bite.

I left around 2:00 to get a new knife in Lehi. Lost the last one in deer creek and probably can't recover it until the water level drops a few feet. Once I got that, I hit inlet park in Saratoga Springs. There were a few others there, but I didn't manage to catch anything there either.

It's been dead all over for me lately. I'm half tempted to just put my gear away until it warms up enough to finish the fiber glass work on my boat. The gas money I'd save should be more than enough for the last layer of glass and gelcoat. If the state park opens up before then, I'll probably hit that here and there since it's about 3 mins from my house. Probably won't be making any other trips until the boat is done and the fishing gets better.
[signature]
Haha yep that was me. I tried cranks, jigs, worms, spinners, meps, but to no avail. Sounds like I wouldn’t have had much better luck on my boat if he saw the fish but couldn’t get a bite. That’s when it’s frustrating. But I like to be defeated I guess because I keep going back for more punishment lol.
[signature]
Ditto on that bummer! I had to try it today just because the weather was nice and I wanted to do a test run on my boat to be sure the prop still went around. Arrived at about 8:30, no other boaters in the parking area. Air temp was about 40 degrees and the water temp was the same. Water is four feet deep in the channel.

I tried the Benjamin Slough area first (heavy in-flow) and then moved over by the first spring and off the Lincoln point. Used wb and carp meat... couldn't find a fish and never had a nibble.

Great day of fishing and plan to be back next week.

Bring it on.

BLK
[signature]
Thanks for the report Lynn. I thought the water should be more in the mid 40's by now, but the nights have been cold still. I usually try afternoon and evening this time of year to get the highest water temps of the day, but often the wind is higher in the afternoon and messes things up.

Did you slow troll the whole time or did you still fish some as well?

Thanks,

Jim
[signature]
This time of year it might be better t o sleep in and let the water warm up in the afternoon. did you get a water temp by chance.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Water temp was 40 degrees in the channel and 39 "warming" to 40 degrees when I left at about 11:00. I tried s-l-o-w dragging and anchoring up. Also threw a few curly tails... all for naught. Sure was pretty though... totally calm water and snow topped mountains for a back ground. Love it.

Maybe a few more degrees will wake them up a bit. I was marking fish on my finder but I believe they were frozen.

Bring it on.

BLK
[signature]
[#0000FF]The fish were like the fishermen. They started getting antsy when water temps were warming up early. But when the snow and cold came back they went into a pout mode. Now they are going to wait to make sure the rising temps are for real before they come out to play with the silly anglers.

Not unusual to have the fish go neutral or negative when temps fall back down below their comfort zone.

My prediction is for water temps to rise above 42 next week and for a few early prespawn walleyes to start showing up. If water temps climb fast to above 45 the walleye spawn will begin...and all the other silly fishies will rub the sleepies from their little eyes and come in for breakfast.

What it really takes is nights above 40 and days above 60 to get a shallow lake like Utah Lake to gain some warmth.

Lemme know when you are ready to watch me catch my first couple of contest entries.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Kinda hurt my feelings when I couldn't even come up with a nibble today. Hurt feelings or not I will be back. Be glad to give you a few how-to lessons anytime. Your seat in my boat is permanently reserved... on second thought, I'll give you one 30 incher from my boat and then you are back in that silly floating Cabelas tube of yours.

Anytime.
[signature]
I just spent the morning with tube dune gaining knowledge and wouldn’t mind joining in on this excursion with my new knowledge if there is ever room on your boat or we can take mine. He said your quite the fisherman and it would be fun to see it lol
[signature]
[#0000FF]It was a pleasure meeting you and your son. Hope you had a good time at the museum later.

Be careful if you go catfishing with BLK. He is a great guy and a pretty fair fisherman. But he is so competitive that he sometimes doesn't play fair. It's his boat so he insists on doing the netting. But if he "accidentally" knocks the biggest fish off your line, well that's tough. And you really gotta watch him when he does the "official" measuring of any of your fish for the contest. In the first attached picture my 30 inch plus fish is reduced by almost an inch by BLK pushing it forward and bending its body. The final straw was him offering to hold my fish while I took a picture of it. Guess who posted that picture on Facebook...claiming it was his?

I may have provided some helpful words during your visit. But fishing with BLK will give you a whole 'nother education.

Seriously, Lynn is good people and very honest...most of the time.

[/#0000FF]
[signature]
WELL... I seem to have a little different recollection of that particular fish. It WAS my fish! I knew where he hung out and I had been stalking him for several days. That’s when I made the mistake of fishing with TD in my favorite hole. He immediately commandered the best side of the boat and caught (foul hooked as I recall) my fish on his first cast. He insisted that I stretch the beast unti it reached the 30 inch mark... almost.

TD caught the fish-of-day but I caught the most... asi recall.

Fishing with TD can be edgucashional (his word) but you have to put up with some absolutly terrible jokes and his prater about “left-hbanded-blue- eyed” minnows.

I will admit that he is generous to a fault with his how-to and he is always good for a couple of his handmade jigs. The RCK is his best and it never fails on the wb. In spite of all his faults it is always a pleasure to fish with him.

I fish Lincoln almost every day as long as there is little or no wind and obviously I am not particular about who I fish with. I will look forward to meeting you Mooseman anytime.

BL.k
[signature]
Ya you got to keep an eye on BLK he'll catch em right under your boat, seen him doit while visiting with him. had to lift my motor up [Wink]
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
[#0000FF]At least with a boat you got motor power. When he shuts down upwind from me and drifts right over my lines...while looking the other way and pretending I'm not there...all I can do is move outta his way while he fishes through the spot I have been catching fish.

Really is a bit aggravating though to have him heave the anchor overboard...right into my tube.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]