Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Be careful icefishing with LCD style fishfinders
I sent an email to Ray Marine asking questions about using my L470 fishfinder ice fishing. Here is a portion of their response:

"We would have concerns if you were using the unit, and it had the potential to be left off in particular, in temperatures below 15-20 degrees Fahrenheit for extended periods of time. If the unit gets turned off and is allowed to cool down in these temperatures, you run the risk of the liquid in the LCD screen (freezing -- added by Kent) , and then the screen cracking when the unit starts to warm up, similar to a pipe bursting."
[signature]
I have an Eagle Magna III (LCD) mounted on a Dave Genz Ice Box that I've used for about 8 years. I knew LCDs are sluggish in the cold when I bought it. To solve this problem, its in the truck on the way to the lake and I turn it on when I head down to the ice. This just keeps the screen warm. I have never had a problem with black-outs or hazy displays. It has always performed well, even in subzero temps. This year it actually slipped out of my sled and bounced off a few rocks. After my heart attack I turned it on and its ran like a champ, still to this day.

I think flasher technology is more responsive and beneficial in extreme cold, but my LCD will have to crap out before buying something new.
[signature]
Excellent report Kent. anybody with an LCD screen should Know.

I see guys heart broken every year. They forget to bring their finder in after a trip and their screens do funny things, most do not realize what they have done and blame the brand.
[signature]
i have used a lowrance X-70 a fish finder for numerous years and i find that when i use the unit that if the light is on it seems to keep the display clearer the light must give off some type of heat to keep the unit warm. Plus i think i may have read it somewhere
[signature]
I have an old Bottomline. I believe the manual says leave the light on when it is cold to keep it warmer, even in daylight. I have done this and it seems to work. I realize that it runs the batteries down faster but that is better than cracking the screen. I guess I am lucky because my fish finder will run all day on one 12v cordless drill battery, even in the cold. So this technique has served me well.

m
[signature]
wow I have used my bottomline with lcd display for about 10 years and have never had any trouble but that is good to know
thanks for the info
<(((><
[signature]
The fishin buddy manual says to use the LCD display light during exreme cold days to keep the LCD screen warm and working smoothly. When it is very cold the display slows down but other than that I haven't had any problems.

Bigcat
[signature]
Back in the "old" days i had one the first lcd fish finders around it was a "king 910" it was a totally terrific unit you could drop a single salmon egg in the water and it would track it clear to the bottom. anyway one stupid cold ice fishing trip to fontenell res in wyoming (the high for the day was like -20) and It did freeze solid and crack the screen. I did try to send it in for fixing but it had long been outdated (tears) Ive owned lots since but nothing to compare to the original.

if you are worried about the extended cold harming them i run it with the light on and keep it in a insulated box with several hand warmers behind it.

jrs4x4
Kent,

I was up at Strawberry before daybreak a couple of weeks ago. My thermometer said it was 15 degrees below zero. My Lowrance X85 worked like a champ. I do keep it in the cab of my truck while driving, and I do turn the backlight on whenever it is really cold. After 14 years and 3 LCD fishfinders, I'm convinced that if you are just a little bit careful you'll be alright.

Fishrmn
Good information, I was looking for a fish finder.
[signature]
I wonder if the problem is with older units. Think about it, boats all over the nation are put into storage for the winter in temps that I am sure are way below zero and they don't seem to have a problem. I agree though with the previous comments about to err on the side of caution and keep the unit warm and use the back light.
[signature]
I've always carried my fishingbuddy in the cab of my truck and turned the light on the highest setting as soon as I turned it on and never had any trouble. I don't know why anyone would want something that expensive and fragile rattling around in the bed of a truck anyway.
[signature]
I agree. I have been using a pistol case for many years to transport my fishfinder. Even the one I have in my boat a bottom line tournemnt HR (which cost $695.00 at the time) I take out after every trip and put it in the padded case. A good pistol case isn't that expensive and you can pack a camera, cell phone, and digital scales in it as well.[cool]
[signature]
Those flashers are great they are very responsive. There just like cheating

Trent
[signature]