Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield Ice off vs Strawberry Ice off
Can anyone tell me when Ice off at Scofield reservoir typically is? Does the ice stay on longer at Scofield vs Strawberry? I am guessing it does, but don't know for sure. We are postponing a scout fishing trip because of the storm this weekend, but can't reschedule until April. So, wondering if the ice might be safer at scofield in April.

Also, I hear you can catch a ton of chubs at scofield. Is that true? I don't care what our scouts catch. I just want them to catch fish.

I would love everyone's feedback.
[signature]
I can't tell you about when the typical ice off is, but I can tell you that many have reported far fewer chubs this year. But, lots of Cutties.
Looking back in my fishing log for Scofield the ice starts coming off anywhere from early April until almost early May. The reservoir is 80% full this year which is higher than it has been for six years. Like has already been mentioned that folks are catching more trout and fewer chubs.

Good luck when you go.
[signature]
My experience has been that Scofield loses its ice a few weeks before Strawberry. Scofield is often clear by mid April. Strawberry has been early May in recent years. I fished Scofield through the ice this winter and didn't see a single chub caught by anyone in our group during any trip -- a real surprise to me.
[signature]
Fish n game has a new stocking protocol that has really reduced the amount of chubs in Scofield.
[signature]
Thank you for your responses. This is good and helpful information.
[signature]
According to my fishings logs Scofield usually comes off the second or third week of April. Strawberry is a couple weeks after that.

Mark
[signature]
If you want them to catch LOTS of fish, and don't care if they are chubs. Take them to the river right at the outlet of the dam. Put a worm on just about anything, and they will catch something on almost every cast.

Lots of fun for the kids, I even had a hard time getting my 24YO "kid" to leave.
[signature]