Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming gorge from shore
I was wondering if there were some decents spots to fish flaming gorge from the shore. Thanks in advance.[bobwhistle]
[signature]
A couple hundred miles of it! Really. I know people who catch, and in the last week have been catching, rainbows from Buckboard to Sheep Creek. Sheep Creek is usually good because of the water coming in and attracting rainbows, but plenty are caught along the shorelines from Lucerne to Buckboard on both sides of the lake. This time of year you'll catch pup lakers on the Wyoming side, which is the most accessible as well. Fish the easy accesses first like Sheep Creek, Swim Beach, Linwood Bay, Anvil Draw, and Brinegars Crossing. Then take some dirt roads in between those areas and try some less-fished coves and points. Its all full of rainbows, the primary catch from shore. Literally dozens of access points. Best time is now until early May. The entire shoreline is "decent" when the water is cold like now.
[signature]
I fish Flaming Gorge from shore and agree with Jim.

One great advantage of Flaming Gorge from shore is there are places, easily found on maps with contour lines, where you can fish in a hundred feet of depth from shore to extend the season Jim mentions.

That's my plan because now, with my off road vehicle, I've expanded my hobbies to off-roading and can get to the good spots with bad trails!

So far the crazy things I've had this car do, it does with such ease that I'll look for greater challenges for it just for fun! I named it "Honey Badger Don't Care!"

I plan to car camp right there at shore for free, wake early, take a few steps and cast into 126 feet of water column!

I'll bring a burner and frying pan and take some vacation time.

There are many places where that is possible -- just look at map contours.

Ronald Smile
Does anybody know if Buckboard is still iced in?
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Not sure, but open to Brinegars. Call 'em.
[signature]
As of last Tuesday (13th) as far as I could see it was still iced up. However it was hot and the ice was thinning fast. I fished around the confluence and the ice there was 3" thinner (9") than the week before (12"). Ice at Buckboard was newer and thinner than at the confluence. Not long now and it will all be softwater.
[signature]