Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how can we get more people to keep a limit of laker pups?
Like others have said, it’s no big deal. It can take longer if it’s busy, or if you have AIS or standing water, but otherwise they want to get you on your way as quick as you do. In summary, I wouldn’t let it keep me from fishing the Gorge!

Thanks, Ryan
[signature]
Thanks Bob. Appreciate the info on that. Jeff
[signature]
[quote Gemcityslayer]How about a unlimited harvest on Lakers under 24”?
Lots of people would go for a weekend and keep 100+ fish.[/quote]

From a social perspective, I understand why you would throw in the 24" restriction. But from a biological standpoint, I think it would be unnecessary. However, through education I think you could probably get more harvest without the "unlimited" regulation. Just increase it -- but allow anglers to keep 1 or 2 "large" fish as well.

[quote fishalot13]We want to manage the fishery not kill it. ...
I like Educate idea and letting people know just how good and fun lake trout fishing can be.[/quote]

Education. Exactly. Through education, anglers and non-anglers alike may realize the importance that harvest plays in a fishery. Including the harvest of large fish.

[quote fishalot13]Years back they increased the limit to 8, they have a hard time getting people to keep that many as it
is and increasing that number would do little to help if most are not even keeping the 8 limit beforehand.[/quote]

True. Increasing harvest regulations won't do any good, if people are unwilling to harvest the fish. How do you correct that behavior? You all know the answer by now: education.

[quote Anglinarcher]
I am not going to drive from Sandy Utah to FG for one day of fishing. I am not going to drive to FG for 8 pups or 8 fish total.
If you expect anglers to keep more Lakers, you have to attract more anglers..[/quote]

Anglin -- how many non-anglers go to FG every summer?

That's the beauty of Powell and stripers! Through education (ie: promote the hell out of it!!) the UDWR has been able to teach non-anglers how easy it can be to catch (and keep) stripers.

Getting more anglers to FG may be a challenge. But I think the real trick with FG is to get the people that are already there, anglers or not, to catch for lake trout. I know that might sound funny -- but we all know that there are a lot of boaters that aren't necessarily "anglers". It's that group that you need to target. The group with the bait-caster and a bobber. Get that group catching some "pup" lake trout!

There are a lot of people that are only interested in numbers. If those small lake trout are that easy to catch, then people will do it. You just have to show them how.
[signature]
Bob,

Thank you for helping me clarify this because I have been worried about getting nailed on this in the past and it has kept me from keeping fish. The proclamation says

"If you’re under 12 years of age, you do not
need a fishing license to fish in Utah. You can
fish without a license, use two poles and take a
full daily limit"

All my kids are currently under 12 and I often have nephews with me that are under 12 as well. This winter I had 8 boys under 12 fishing off my license but I cant find anything in the proclamation that puts a limit on how many kids can fish under a single license or a minimum age for someone to keep fish. It just says under 12. my 2 year old can real them in, can she keep a limit?

Lets be honest, fishing with a bunch of kids I probably wont be catching 50+ fish in a day, but if I made it a weekend it may be worth it. If family's can catch several dinners in an outing, we may be able to put a dent in the population
[signature]
[quote betterthanwork]Bob,

Thank you for helping me clarify this because I have been worried about getting nailed on this in the past and it has kept me from keeping fish. The proclamation says

"If you’re under 12 years of age, you do not
full daily limit"

All my kids are currently under 12 and I often have nephews with me that are under 12 as well. This winter I had 8 boys under 12 fishing off my license but I cant find anything in the proclamation that puts a limit on how many kids can fish under a single license or a minimum age for someone to keep fish. It just says under 12. my 2 year old can real them in, can she keep a limit?

Lets be honest, fishing with a bunch of kids I probably wont be catching 50+ fish in a day, but if I made it a weekend it may be worth it. If family's can catch several dinners in an outing, we may be able to put a dent in the population[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]You answered your own question - go back and read the quote you posted from the Guidebook.[/#][/font]
[Smile]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Be careful that the kids reel the fish in. I almost got a ticket for holding the rod while my niece reeled in the fish. She got tired and I had to hold it. Wyoming Game Warden did not like that. Took some talking and Butt kissing to get out of it.
[signature]
it's not as easy as you think to catch laker pups ,it takes almost as much work to catch a 20 incher or a 28. when i first started fishing the gorge there were mas
ny trips we didn't catch many fish at all .but with all the available info out there now it is easier for beginners .
on another note if a younger kid wants to keep a limit of fish they need a license .i think if they fish off your license they can keep a half limit l.
[signature]
[quote mtncat1]...
on another note if a younger kid wants to keep a limit of fish they need a license .i think if they fish off your license they can keep a half limit l.[/quote]

ummm......No. They don't. Look at the regulations:

[quote "Utah Fishing 2018 Fishing Guide Book"]
Under 12 years of age
Utah Code § 23-19-21 and Utah Admin. Rule R657-13-3
If you’re under 12 years of age, you do not
full daily limit.[/quote]
[signature]
thanks ,i stand corrected ,i knew if i posted that someone would quote chapter and verse for me [Wink]
[signature]
Why has it not been addressed to add small lake trout to the list of legally disposed fish? I just reviewed the list and they aren’t there. It took about 5 seconds to get burbot on that list. While I agree with educating people who don’t fish will help, it would be more effective to allow the thousands of anglers to dispose of their incidental catch of small macs. I’ll catch a couple dozen this year and if that law isn’t changed, they will all swim away. If it’s that bad, do something about it. I’m not convinced it’s that bad.

I am intrigued by Bobs canning method. I bought a pressure cooker to can the trout I catch at derbies, haven’t really figured it out. They turn out fair at best. This coming from someone who is in heaven with a pack of ritz and can of sardines in oil. What’s the secret? Do you fillet or steak them out? Any cure or smoke before canning? Mine just kind of turn out like mushy trout- yuck!
[signature]
[quote MACMAN]I am intrigued by Bobs canning method. I bought a pressure cooker to can the trout I catch at derbies, haven’t really figured it out. What’s the secret? [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]The secret is this: there isn't any secret. Just load up the jars with fish, put the lids on, hand tighten the outer rings, cook at the pressure and for the length of time as directed in your pressure cookers owners manual. And be sure to account for the altitude table recommendations on pressure level.[/#800000][/font]

Do you fillet or steak them out? [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Both, actually. I filet the fish, remove the skin and most of the bones and then cut the filets into chunks that fit/stack side-by-side (not one on top of the other). I never remove the side bones and leaving rib bones on the pieces doesn't matter either. ALL the bones will be softened/crystalized such that they are edible.[/#800000][/font]

Any cure or smoke before canning? [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I've tried a full smoke and a partial smoke before canning and found neither to be acceptable. As to cure; no I have not done any curing before canning. I have added a teaspoon of Lowry's SeasonAll or a tablespoon of Catalina salad dressing for flavor (put it in first).[/#800000][/font][/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Now, go back and read my post on Page 2 on how to prepare the fish after it is canned. When mixed as I described in that post and spread on your favorite crackers or between 2 slices of your favorite bread, I confidant you will change your opinion on the culinary value of canned Lake Trout.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]We occasionally make patties and pan fry them as one would do with salmon patties using our favorite salmon patty recipe. But we both like salmon patties. If you're not a fan of salmon patties, then you probably wouldn't like Lake Trout patties either.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Great info, thank you. Can you recommend what kind of cooker to buy?
[signature]
[quote MACMAN]Why has it not been addressed to add small lake trout to the list of legally disposed fish?... I’ll catch a couple dozen this year and if that law isn’t changed, they will all swim away.

... I’m not convinced it’s that bad.
[/quote]

You aren't convinced it's that bad, and yet you'd be willing to dispose the fish if the law was changed?

You have to remember that the burbot are considered an invasive nuisance species. So allowing the legal disposal of them is considerably different than trying to manage your #1 sport fish in a fishery.

Just educating people on the importance of harvest, any harvest, would do some good. I don't believe any drastic measures (ie: no limits, legal disposal, etc...) are necessary. Just educate people on how to catch them, and then allow them to keep what they catch. It's not rocket science.
[signature]
Let us keep/have more than one daily bag limit. If you are there for a weekend, you tend to get picky with your keepers. I quess I better study the rules first
[signature]
[quote sliverslinger]Can you recommend what kind of cooker to buy?[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]No, I can not. I bought a 16 qt Presto from Smith & Edwards for $80. I would HIGHLY recommend you get one with a pressure gauge for precise pressure control. I'm not a big fan of the kind that have a weight that rocks/spits at 5/10/15 PSI.[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
[quote sliverslinger]Great info, thank you. Can you recommend what kind of cooker to buy?[/quote]

[#0000FF]I have eaten a lot of canned fish over the years. Some better than others. Started trying it myself a couple of years ago. Have done trout and recently catfish. Don't keep enough of anything else to make up a batch for the canner.

There are a lot of tutorials and videos on the Internet if you plug "canning fish" into your search engine. If you want something more spicy look for one on sardines.

[url "https://www.simplycanning.com/canning-fish.html"]HERE IS A LINK[/url] to a general discussion of canning fish. The common thread is to process them for at least 90 minutes at high pressure...and to use good clean new lids so they seal.

Most fish canning recipes are light on seasonings. It is easy enough to season to taste after removing them from the jar. You also don't want to fill the jars with extra liquid. The fish gives up a lot of liquid during the canning process. But you do want the liquid to cover the top of the fish in the jar.

As Dubob suggests, the final product can be used in many ways...in salads, shredded into dips, as the main ingredient in croquettes or patties, etc. Much cheaper and just as good as most commercially canned fish products.

I also got a Presto canner. I can do about a dozen pint jars in a batch. For fish you will not need to can larger than pints...and some folks prefer half pints.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I think that qualifies as a hijack.

[cool]
[signature]
I’d rather do trout jerky than canned trout myself...

Am I the only one who makes it? Give it a try if you haven’t.
[signature]
Thank you for the info!
[signature]
Thanks for the info and links. Hope to help thin some pups this year myself!
[signature]