Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how can we get more people to keep a limit of laker pups?
[quote waterbilk]Let us keep/have more than one daily bag limit. If you are there for a weekend, you tend to get picky with your keepers. I quess I better study the rules first[/quote]

I agree, making that trip would be great to have a 2-3 bag! I think the fish get better and firm up after filet and cool in refrigerator.
[signature]
I think the Lake Trout have gotten an unfair reputation of not being good table fair. I had a friend tell me they were great, I thought he was nuts until I tried his recipe. Simply, put honey and butter 50/50 in a coffee cup, microwave it (carefully as butter splatters everywhere) until it melts and can be mixed together. Put a fillet skin side down right on the grill or on a cedar or hickory plank (make sure to soak the plank if you use that, I prefer the plank), coat the fillet with the butter honey mixture and apply salt and pepper or a seasoned salt of your choice before you put it on the grill as it cooks fast. It is flat delicious. I truly don't care what people say about this next statement, because I make it knowing the comments are coming. Lake trout cooked that way, are every bit as good as Kokanee Salmon if not better.

The Gorge (and the green) is a location people come to from other Countries to fish. Its fun meeting people from Germany, Norway, Sweden, Italy, others I can't recall, but it's not uncommon to meet other people from other Countries taking in the beauty of the Flaming Gorge area. To have such an amazing resource, 3 hours away is a heck of a compliment to the UT DWR and it's biologists and management efforts! I know we all want to complain about things, myself included, the reservoir is in need of help. I hope we jump on this opportunity and help out the State with what they are asking for. Go up, keep 8 pups, eat as many as you can while your'e there, take home 8 a person. I watch people release them daily when I'm on the water, they just don't understand the repercussions we may face if we do not limit the lake trout here.

I wish it were not in need of the help, I personally don't want the fishing pressure on my favorite place on the planet!
[signature]
[quote submoa]I think the Lake Trout have gotten an unfair reputation of not being good table fair. I had a friend tell me they were great, I thought he was nuts until I tried his recipe. Simply, put honey and butter 50/50 in a coffee cup, microwave it (carefully as butter splatters everywhere) until it melts and can be mixed together. Put a fillet skin side down right on the grill or on a cedar or hickory plank (make sure to soak the plank if you use that, I prefer the plank), coat the fillet with the butter honey mixture and apply salt and pepper or a seasoned salt of your choice before you put it on the grill as it cooks fast. It is flat delicious. I truly don't care what people say about this next statement, because I make it knowing the comments are coming. Lake trout cooked that way, are every bit as good as Kokanee Salmon if not better.

The Gorge (and the green) is a location people come to from other Countries to fish. Its fun meeting people from Germany, Norway, Sweden, Italy, others I can't recall, but it's not uncommon to meet other people from other Countries taking in the beauty of the Flaming Gorge area. To have such an amazing resource, 3 hours away is a heck of a compliment to the UT DWR and it's biologists and management efforts! I know we all want to complain about things, myself included, the reservoir is in need of help. I hope we jump on this opportunity and help out the State with what they are asking for. Go up, keep 8 pups, eat as many as you can while your'e there, take home 8 a person. I watch people release them daily when I'm on the water, they just don't understand the repercussions we may face if we do not limit the lake trout here.

I wish it were not in need of the help, I personally don't want the fishing pressure on my favorite place on the planet![/quote]

Funny you posted this, last night my wife made a recipe called "honey fish" using some rainbow fillets we caught last week, it's a recipe that is quite popular for the Passover I guess and was amazing! We are going to try it on some mac fillets next week. As for the trout tasting better than kokes I have to agree in some ways, especially in the smoker.
[signature]
This is an excellent recipe! Just be sure to not overcook!
[signature]
I see that the Lucerne derby will have a new pup category for total weight on 8 pups under 25”. Interesting!
[signature]
I read most of the replies a week or so ago, not sure how many more I missed but I'm going to agree with those who said it,
they really should look into changing the possession limit to help first. many of us spend 2-3+ days on the gorge and would rather be able to keep more fish.

in the KSL Outdoors episode the DNR guy said something like "We need to get more people keeping a limit now before raising it" which in my opinion is the wrong way of thinking, you cant really make people keep fish if they don't want to, why not let those of us who want to keep them, keep more?
[signature]
I can't speak for the DNR guy, but how I took his comment was, people aren't keeping their limit now, so raising the limit isn't the primary issue. I've also heard them say that because it's an interstate water, they need to work with WY and change the limit at the same time, so the rules are clear for the reservoir. I know I watch people throwing them back all the time and few people that I see, take an 8 fish limit per person.
[signature]
In this post, I address limits, keeping and canning (and canners) from my preparedness perspective.

I'm very much into preparedness, so I would love to greatly increase food storage by using some of my vacation time and going to a choice spot on Flaming Gorge using some of my abundance of saved up vacation time and camp with my propane burners and All-American brand pressure canners by Wisconsin Aluminum Foundry of which I am a distributor. They have an exclusive metal-to-metal seal, so from a preparedness prespective, they don't have the vulnerability of aging ruber seals from manufacturers that discontinue them or go out of business. My first one was an antique that was passed on through many generations and still works fine. It was so impressive, compared to other used ones that are essentially just pots when seals are no longer available, that I became a distributor.

Regarding keeping and canning, it's not worth it for me to bother with just the current limit and I'm certainly not going to do it a little at a time by first freezing them to save up enough to bother canning and then deal with defrosting them with the degradation of quality combined.

I'm great at catching, so were the limit removed and they really wanted me to reduce the laker pup population, I would schedule a couple weeks of vacation time, set up camp with three propane burners and three of my personal All-American model 930 canners (these are the big ones -- they're huge) to do huge batches of freshly caught laker pups at once.

That's my offer. I would love to do it. I own a mountain of empty canning jars -- multiple tall pallet loads, so yes I can reduce the laker pup population and have high quality tasty and nutritious protien to add to my preparedness food storage all for the cost of a very enjoyable extended fishing and camping adventure.
[signature]
[quote RonPaulFan]

I'm great at catching...

[/quote]

When did this change happen?[Wink]
[signature]
Good points. The message was meant to get anglers to keep a limit starting right now (back in December) and not wait for a regulation increase that wouldn't occur until January 1, 2019. There's a lot of angling ahead of the regulation process, and lots of time to generate angler support and start increasing harvest of pup lake trout.

There's so many pups already "in hand". In an angler survey conducted in 2013, only 22% of pup lake trout caught in Flaming Gorge Reservoir were harvested. Of those anglers that kept pups, only 8% kept more than two lake trout. Getting anglers to keep what they've already caught is still very important until a limit increase can be implemented.

As you're probably aware, it can be difficult to change a regulation, especially when two states are involved. There's several steps in the process, which ultimately has to have support from the angling public. Having said that, the current proposal(s) is to increase both the daily and possession limit for lake trout on both sides of the reservoir.

In the meantime, hopefully anglers will continue to show strong support and harvest some pups while fishing the Gorge this upcoming season.

Hope that helps, Ryan
[signature]
I have friends who invite me to fish Flaming Gorge by boat. We have always done well over the past few years.

Where I haven't done well wasn't that. Generally, I haven't done well when I sleep late in a comfortable house in Manila, have a big breakfast and spend social time with friends and put the fishing as secondary. I'll make the excuse that "the fish will still be wet" when I get around to fishing by afternoon. Then by evening, it's great restaurant dinners and socializing with friends. What's with the fish that they can't understand that and bite at a more convenient time for me!

I suppose I'll do very well when I combine camping right where I'll fish to start early in the morning to accommodate the fish liking early breakfast. When I'm not a guest in a nice house with great company, eating late dinners and watching late movies with them, I'll likely fish with a better schedule for catching fish particularly when I take some vacation time and have caught up on sleep.

Other times I haven't done well is when I'm stubborn to continue fishing a shore that's unproductive by trying different lures and different combinations of rods and in general experimenting with new equipment without those pesky fish interfering. That's useful for fishing, too.

I did that at Sheep Creek when the water was too murky from runoff. I was stubborn to try to see if the fish needed a lure to make some noise or disturbance and if different techniques might get the fish to notice when visibility was very poor. That's one place where casting out a Deeper to view sonar on my tablet would be nice to know if I'm just not getting it right or the fish just aren't there, but I haven't bought one yet.

Besides, I used that opportunity to try out a lot of my new equipment and be more ready in picking favorite rods for lure weights to be prepared for when the fishing is good rather than running around trying different spots.

But, I eventually did move to Swim Beach and the water was very clear there and I caught trout on worms and a bobber after oddly lures weren't working when before the same lures caught fish at the marina by the side of the boat ramp. What's with those fish changing their mind on what they want!

I don't just want to be able to catch fish in some conditions. If that's all the challenge I wanted, then I would just keep going to where I've caught fish before and fish the same way as what worked.

But, I enjoy the challenges of new, so I continue learning new things and techniques for other conditions.

Friends often ask me what are my favorite places to fish and I tell them, but I also tell them that I'm much more likely to go to new places rather than favorite places. I have a season pass to Utah State Parks. I want to see the ones where I haven't been before I go back to the ones I've enjoyed most.

I keep changing and experimenting on my own. That's the nature of experimenting. Some things work and some don't, but that's how you find out.

I'm not new at fishing. I was deep sea fishing as a child regularly. Much later came fly fishing for a decade mostly on mountain streams. Then spinning equipment and big lures mostly in reservoirs. I started with my fly fishing pontoon boat and switched to my current preference for shore fishing. I added ice fishing for the last few seasons in a big way. Next will be surf fishing.

Whenever I switch to a new style, I accept it taking time to develop new skills. That's a fishing attraction to me and part of the sport that I enjoy.

But, where I don't want to experiment due to the much higher expense of travel and accommodations will be when I'm on vacation for surf fishing a distant coast, so for that I seek an experienced surf fishing guide. In contrast, if I were to live in a house on a coast and had the opportunity to experiment frequently, then I would eventually be fine without a professional guide. But, for my first surf fishing vacation, I don't want it to be an experiment and I very much hope to learn as much as I can from someone with a lifetime of experience doing his best to teach me all he can in a week or several weeks of surf fishing. Does anyone know a surf fishing guide?
[signature]