Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sturgeon bait
Zero experience Sturgeon fishing, but Grandson and I want to give it a go.
What are some productive baits for Snake River Sturgeon?

Ouzel
[signature]
9 to 11 " trout or 8 to 10 " crappie .
[signature]
a big hook with a coupe worms, or pickled herring
[signature]
Put a bunch of Rainbow trout in a Row sack, tie to the hook with magic thread, than thread on a couple of worms, toss out and wait.
Matt
[signature]
I have only finished below CJ strike. Largest one with the 10 inch trout , Pickled herring also worked, but I have seen worms and Croppie work very well also. I know some people use tuna shrimp and other in a roe netting tired with magic thread specially when used in a river versus a lake or slow water area. I need to try the Idaho Falls area this summer .
I think just a few inches off the bottom is better than directly laying on the bottom .
[signature]
Were you fishing from shore directly below the damn near Scout park or from a boat?
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Be sure to read the special regs' for sturgeon fishing. All of the above baits should be good at one time or another. Be sure to have heavy enough gear to fight these big boys. 65-100lb braid line, 4-12oz sinkers determined by current, 6/0-9/0 Gamagotsu hooks, and a tuff rod. I have been pleased with Ugly Stik rods rated at 40-100lb line. 6'3" tiger jigging rod on the boat and a 12' from shore. Good luck on your first trip. I was really lucky and got 7'6" on my first trip and now I am addicted. So be warned.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
How do you keep your bait a few inches off the bottom?
[signature]
i have used corkies and those have worked
[signature]
I use worms and corkers in the summer, but morts are good all year. All the rest works sometimes but morts produce consistently.
[signature]
Not sure what a "mort" is but will ask around.

Thanks to all for the input.

Ouzel
[signature]
I'm sure one of the other will answer but I believe they are small hatchery trout, around 8 to 10".
[signature]
That is what I understand they are .
[signature]
Mort is short for mortality.
They are the fish off of the screens in the trout raceways.
8 inch is perfect, the bagged frozen ones at sportsmans work great.
You can get fresh ones in Hagerman.
[signature]
That makes sense, I had not heard that before.
[signature]