Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Registering a kayak with motor questions
I know this has been discussed before but I am still thoroughly Confused with what I actually need to do to get my kayak registered. I have a Cabelas Advanced Angler kayak that I just picked up a trolling motor for, so now I need to get it registered.

From what I can tell on the Utah DMV site I'll need to do the following:
1. Pay a Uniform Fee of $10 for a vessel under 15' length

2. Register the kayak - What do I need to do?
- I have the receipt from Cabelas, purchased last summer
- Do I need to fill out any kind of registration form?

3. From what I can tell it does not need a title since the motor is less than 25 hp - Is this correct?

4. Certificate of Inspection - Do I need this since it shouldn't need a title?

One final question - What's the preferred way to attach the numbers and sticker to a kayak?

I guess what I'm getting at is what do I need to do in advance before going to the DMV.

Thanks all, I know a lot of you have been through this already.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I haven't been through the process with a kayak but have done several pontoons and float tubes.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]First, be warned. Not all DMV offices handle registration for watercraft. Call to find out which ones are available.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Second, take your purchase paperwork and a photo of your craft. A lot of the "professionals" at the DMV office have no idea what you are trying to register. There are plenty of small craft horror stories of having to go back two or three times to get a non-boat watercraft registered. Ridiculous.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Third, you need to assure the person you talk to that there are no "hull numbers"...and that they have to assign some to you. In some cases they will require you get a police officer to verify. Dumb.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]The first year your fees will be based upon the valuation of your yak...no matter how much your motor costs. Renewal fees thereafter will be less, but still far higher than they should be.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]For a hard hull craft, like a yak, you can just buy the stick on numbers and letters at most building supply or hardware stores. 3" size are about right and are available in a lot of places. Wait until you get your registration with the numbers and letters you will need. Also, follow the instructions on how to attach the registration stickers and numbers on each side. They do have requirements so they can check you from a distance with binos.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]If you don't want to stick the numbers on your hull, then use a piece of PVC baseboard or some plexiglass...and hang it over the side whenever you use the motor.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Good luck and take some tranquilizers when you go in.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
What he said![:p] Tranquilizers are a must at the DMV. My buddy had to go back a couple times for silly stuff.
[signature]
Thank you, I figured you would have some solid advice.

I actually do have a hull identification number that came with my paperwork and certificate of origin. I will take that along with my receipt as proof of purchase. Sounds like that is all I'll need to get started with the registration process at least.
[signature]