Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on best fish finder?
I'm afraid that I'm need of a new fish finder for the boat. I've noticed that lately my finder no longer picks ups the fish that I'm catching but the depth finder is not working as well.

I'm only using the boat to fish locally, typically keeping the boat at Strawberry, Soldier Creek and for the first time today, Jordanelle.

I'm looking for around the $300 range, what do people think is the best model to go with?

Thanks in advance for the input!
[signature]
you will get a lot of different answers
first you need one you know how to use
watch you tube
you need GPS and one that will have a map slot are a built in map
DUAL BEAM is a must lets you combine the two beams for even more detail.

if you troll all the time you don't need SIDE IMAGING but it is nice if you jig
do a google search for Best Fish Finders 2018

the more money you spend the better fishfinder you can get. I would find some way to save to get a good one and wait till Dec or January when they go on sell
take your time till you get what you want at a good price go look at them at the sports stores. then watch amazon and ebay. I got a new $2400 fish finder for $1000
[signature]
For $300, you don't get much I'm afraid. However, have you checked your transducer? They do go bad. Might be able to get your current finder running like new for under $100. I replace transducers every few seasons, though they do get heavy use.
[signature]
First, they are ALL good. But they all have different features. Some are better at this and some at that.

Determine what you do most...jigging, trolling, casting to cover?...and then find an affordable unit that is optimized for that. GPS is nice but you are unlikely to get that for $300.

I'll echo the comment about your xducer. You might just have a dirty, algae-encrusted unit. Or corroded plugs. Check those first.

(Or don't and tell the Queen of Finance that your must-have old one is toast!)
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Yeah, for 300 bucks, your choice is very limited. And there really isn't a good answer to which is best. It's just like the Chevy, Ford, Ram truck discussion. To each his own. And do have the transducer checked out. You can send it back to the Mfg and have them tell you if it's good or bad.[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
You really mean fish liar... right shows fish but no bites. Anyways for me personally is one that has capability for map chip and GPS for waters one fishing. We use Navioncs and Lakemaster.
[signature]
I have a Raymarine A57D that just crashed on me. I was looking around for a replacement and Cabelas has a lot of FF's on sale. I was tempted to pull the trigger on the Hummingbird Helix 10 SI but quickly noticed it was sold out. Their sale price was $599. After talking to a rep at Cabelas they show 86 sold after stock diminished and no back orders. Cabelas has a large inventory of fishfinders with a few on sale in the $300 range. Weeding thru this crop will be a decision on what you want for features.
[signature]
Thanks to everyone for all the input , after more research and knowing the success some of you have, looks like I need to up the budget a bit.
So many features these days, no wonder I spend so much time looking for the fish ! Lol
[signature]