Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Finder for Pontoon
Hello,

I have a cheap $100 Hummingbird sonar on my pontoon and I don't think it works very well. Could I get some suggestions for an upgrade that would be easy to set-up on a pontoon. I don't need something real fancy but I want it to do a reliable job showing fish, depths, and temp. I'd like to stay $300 or under.

Thanks,

Justin
[signature]
First, what makes you think it isn't working?
[signature]
I just feel like it doesn't pick up fish all that well and I've tried adjusting the sensitivity and all that. And honestly, I think I just want a new one lol.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I've gone through a lot of different makes and models of sonars for float tubes and toons. I once thought that all you needed was to see the depth, the bottom contour, the temperature and maybe some fish. But lower end units usually don't display in real time and you can't see your lures when making vertical presentations. Oh yeah, when you have them set on Fish ID mode...with the little fishies...they lie. Nice to watch on TV but not reliable for strategy planning and catching fish.

I have been using the basic model of the Helix 5 for over a year. Like the colors and once you learn to interpret the displays it gives good info. It does have temperature display and several options on how you want to view the screen. They are also available with GPS, side scan and other options but the $$$ goes up.

There has been a lot of advances in sonar technology in the past decade. It is a shame to still be relying on older models when the newer ones have so much more...and are really not all that spendy for a workable unit.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Do you think Hummingbird is better than Garmin or Lowrance?
[signature]
My Hummingbird 160 is pretty nice and accurate for my toon. I only paid $35 and love it.
[signature]
I have a deeper ball and it links to my phone or any wifi device. Not sure how others feel about it, but i just tie my stringer to it and let it go. works great! battery last all day. any questions ill be happy to answer. has fish icons also i like the arches I can tell size of fish.

water temp
gps
depth
ice fishing mode
off shore
on shore
just to name a few
[signature]
Everyone has their preferences. I chose the Garmin Striker 4. It has color display, dual frequency, GPS. It doesn't have maps which would be nice if you can afford the extra cost. I like it because it has a clear, bright display. I got some mounting accessories from RAM-mount.com to attach it to my pontoon tube and I can transfer it to my canoe easily. I found a Scotty kayak transducer arm to mount the transducer to the frame and I put the battery in a side pocket. Works great and doesn't get in the way. Only costs about $120. I used to use a Fishin Buddy and this one blows that away!

Photo "Garmin 01" shows a bunch of bluegill as I motored past them.
Photo "Garmin 02" shows a bunch of bluegill as I am fishing vertically over them.
[signature]
I chose a Lowrance Elite 4 HDI that has down scan imaging and gps. I got it for less than 300 and its a great fish finder. I don't think they make them anymore. Now they have a hook series which seems to be pretty good.
[signature]
[quote catfish77]Do you think Hummingbird is better than Garmin or Lowrance?[/quote]

[#0000FF]Ford...Chevy...Dodge?

All good equipment. Look for the options you want and need and don't pay for anything more. And all brands are good...and have their followers.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I bought one of these for my toon and like it. I have been around sonar for awhile now and am pretty picky when it comes to sonar. This thing actually works very well.

I carry a charger that I plug into my phone or tablet when I am running the app. The battery for the fishfinder is built in and very lite. When I have fish under me I know it and when I don't it doesn't lie to me saying there is. So you get allot of blank screen most of the time I have fished down to 40+ feet and saw my 3" jig.

Check it out and do your home work. But I like this one. Very portable and can be fitted on a rental boat real easy.

One perk is anyone fishing near me doesn't need a fishfinder. They just connect to it too. I have had three people vertical jigging trout at strawberry and we all could watch the fish as they came in and out.

https://store12459.americommerce.com/sto...T-BOX.aspx

fnf[cool]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][quote catfish77]Do you think Hummingbird is better than Garmin or Lowrance?[/quote]

[#0000FF]Ford...Chevy...Dodge?

All good equipment. Look for the options you want and need and don't pay for anything more. And all brands are good...and have their followers.
[/#0000FF][/quote]

You forgot Datsun
[signature]
[#0000FF]Never heard of a Datsun sonar. Or do you mean whenever you see a fish on the screen you say "Datsun"?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Fishnate, I just purchased a Stricker 4 for my tube. I love the size, weight and functionality. In addition, it has a GPS. GPS isn't necessary on a tube, but it will sure be nice to mark a location along the Willard dike holding fish for the return trip back through the area. It's got to be easier than remembering the big brown triangle shaped rock half way up the dike. Best yet, I found it on sale for $69.
[signature]
I just got a Striker Plus 4cv I've been messing around with a little. Nice and compact. Screen is bright and clear. It has bottom contouring so I can map the bottom as I'm fishing. GPS and a built in flasher for ice fishing. Seems like a nice little unit. In the process of mounting it to my toon.
[signature]
Ford...Chevy...Dodge?

Datsun LOL
[signature]