Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forsyth - Half & Half
A couple of us went to Forsyth today to fish from our tubes. Lucky for us about half of the reservoir is open water, plenty for us to launch.

We put in at the boat ramp and fished the bay just north of the ramp from 9:30 until 2:00 and picked up a few tigers from 15" to 18" long, no Splake were injured making this report. We used both medium and fast sinking lines with the usual size 6 & 8 bead head leeches, crystal buggers, and woolly buggers. The water temperature was 40-42 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 7'. The reservoir is full.

With the weather forecast for more wind it won't be long and the reservoir will ice free.

We hooked most of the fish in 12' - 20' FOW while trolling. We did hook a few while stripping the line up from the bottom too. Those tigers hate to see anything getting away from them.[Wink]

The weather was nice when we started but it didn't last long before it got breezy.[:/]
[signature]
Crazy...we fished it on Saturday and it was still mostly frozen and people were still ice fishing. I’m excited to get back over there.
[signature]
Glad to hear you used that open water!

I fished it the last 2 Saturdays.

Last week, by the springs, there was a big of open water that my buddy and I waded out into and started casting. The bite was on and we each had quite a few fish in a relatively short amount of time. We originally went a little farther south than Forsyth and got skunked on the ice at a small lake we expected to float.

Mostly 14-16" tigers with the occasional 18" or 19". Several splake were also enjoying our jigs and they were about the same size as the tigers, if not a little rounder in shape.

This past Saturday, the springs were loaded with people, so we didn't last long there. We relocated to the dam and did fairly well, although not as well as the previous week in activity. All the same, fish were biting jigs and worms.

It was actually my first ever "family trip" where every one of us caught fish.

Fish were biting Gulp minnows (smelt 3" and leech 3") on 1/16oz heads and nightcrawlers with no weights or bubbles. Most bites were within 20ft of shore, near the bottom, but only after making it move, then leaving it alone for a few seconds.

Again, mixed bag of tigers and splake. No cutthroat seen.
[signature]
Thanks for the report LOAH. It's always fun when everyone gets to enjoy catching some fish, especially those kind of fish.

We haven't caught any Splake or Cutthroats this year. It doesn't seem that the Splake are as eager to take a fly as the tigers.

We have picked them up when the water was warmer, but still not very many of them. I heard from an ice fisherman that fishes it a lot and he said that he had only caught Splake and no tigers through the ice, go figure.[:/]
[signature]