Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good news/Bad news about Lost creek
Just got off the phone with Reelfast, he said they went to a Morgan county meeting, of some short, where they talked about repaving the entire road up to LC this year. I guess they have most of the funds needed to begin as soon as this Summer. The DWR also plans to turn it into a blue water fishery like Strawberry but I guess they have been managing it like that for a number of years anyway. Now the Bad news and I hope this is wrong, it will no longer be a State park, so the county will start running it and our state parks pass will not work there. I just hope the fees aren't as high as Pineview. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
[signature]
Start charging to go there I might not go. Fishing license is good enough. All ready tough that you can't camp. The regs have been great and I like the bigger fish that are in there. Love spring fishing and my fly rod!
[signature]
My understanding about Lost Creek is it never did become a full fledged State Park. It is not listed on the State Parks web site. They haven't had any pay station that I know of and there are no camping facilities except for a small campground below the dam.

The thing that bugs me about LC is the fact that anglers can't access the upper portion of the reservoir. The road is gated just around from the boat ramp arm of the reservoir. The road is on county property but it seems the county does not want to patrol the area so property owners up the road are the only ones who can have access through the gate.[:/]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Curt,[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Two or 3 years ago, I did some checking on Lost Creek as far as being part of the East Canyon State Park. The EC manager informed me that it had not been EC's responsibility for several years and the only LEO presence there would be either the County (Sheriff) or Utah CO's. No STATE pass was, or is, required to use the facility. And to the best of my knowledge, there is no pay station (State OR Federal) at that facility. The only improvement there is the concrete launch and pit toilet and it is free to use as far as I know. If anybody is really interested in find out any more about this reservoir, I would suggest contacting the [font "Arial"]United States Bureau of Reclamation (BoR) in Provo as it falls under their jurisdiction. Here is a quote from the Recreation.gov website:[/font][/#800000][/font]
Quote:[url "http://www.usbr.gov/projects/Facility.jsp?fac_Name=Lost+Creek+Dam"]Lost Creek Dam[/url] and Reservoir, [url "http://www.usbr.gov/projects/Project.jsp?proj_Name=Weber Basin Project"]Weber Basin Project[/url], are on Lost Creek, 12 miles upstream from its confluence with Weber River in an open setting northeast of Croyden, Utah at the 6,000-foot elevation.. Recreation at Lost Creek Reservoir is directly managed by the Bureau of Reclamation. The site has primitive facilities and no on-site manager or law enforcement. Use at your own risk. The narrow lake only allows wakeless boating on its 360 surface acres. Fishing is a popular activity at the reservoir and game species include rainbow trout and cutthroat trout. Improved gravel roads beyond provide access around the reservoir. Francis Canyon and Lost Creek Dam U.S. Geological Service maps cover the area. There is no overnight camping.

[#800000][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Nice Bob! thanks. Lets hope it stays that way and the changes aren't coming. except the paved road! Posted just a few pics from over the years. Great fishery!
[signature]
The BRFAC is working hard on making this body a Blue Ribbon Fishery. There is a rating scale to qualify as A Blue Ribbon Fishery plus remain as a designated Blue Ribbon Utah fishery. Lost Creek is a Northern Region body of water being worked by DWR.
[signature]
[quote k2muskie]The BRFAC is working hard on making this body a Blue Ribbon Fishery. There is a rating scale to qualify as A Blue Ribbon Fishery plus remain as a designated Blue Ribbon Utah fishery. Lost Creek is a Northern Region body of water being worked by DWR.[/quote]

I think it is worthy of Blue Ribbon status but one of the criteria in the rating scale is public access and that could be a problem because of the locked gate. Like was said earlier, the reservoir has already been managed for quality fish so I doubt whether you would see much change in the way it's managed if it became a BRF.

The gates not a problem for the folks with boats but for shore anglers and tubers/pontooners it is a problem that needs to be addressed.
[signature]
Bob,
That really wasn't the issue here, although I believe the State parks did at one time say they were going to start charging a fee. The point is, this lake will be turned into a lake where your State park pass can not be used, just like Pineview, Strawberry and Echo was before the State Parks folks decided to take it over. I agree with the other member that stated he will no longer fish there if this happens. If they ever put kokanee in there, well that will change my opinion a little, depending on what the cost will be but if it goes up to the price that PV charges, I won't go back. I've enjoyed that lake for a long time, because it usually isn't crowded but with it being fairly small, a good paved road will bring the masses and end the quiet setting, especially if they put in a campground. The State parks folks or the BOR went so far when they were first involved in this many years ago that they put in a gate and a small pay station at the bottom of the hill. Not sure why it never worked out but they gave up on that idea pretty quick and they let the county take over. That is what I remember but if you find that I'm incorrect, then I will bow to your superior investigating prowess[Wink].
[signature]
I am pleased to hear that the road to Lost Creek might be repaired! But at the same time it will no longer be the nice quiet place to go fishing ,as a good road would bring in more people ,boats than Lost creek can handle.. Lost Creek is my favorite place for trout fishing. Hopefully the future plans for lost Creek will not spoil Lost Creek.
[signature]
Okay what improvements would be okay? Curious minds really want to know???

I have to LOL. Folks complain about access infrastructure needed then complain when something is potentially being done for improvement.

So, tell all what improvements need to done meeting your 'personal' no-one else matters needs at LC? Just asking.

Leave it as is crap road no infrastructure except new pit toilets?

[Smile][Smile]
[signature]
Well there ya go a good start on this discussion.

So have (potential) the use of your state park permit one pays for is okay...I believe SP is $75 for the year.

Right now, as I recall anglers pay no Fee at LC...correct so per comments a $3-$5 fee is what one wants see and state park pass not honored? Plus on top a this fee on top of a state park fee. Interesting.

I know folks don't have a lot of disposable income but as I see it, folks will budget...no matter who manages a body of water here in Utah. But there are
always flee markets to sell ones stuff if they, well and unfortunately don't budget for fees for what they enjoy.

Unfortunately folks a way of life increases for what you love to do...that's the way it is. Being retired I can relate...but ya gotta do what ya gotta do...I fish and will budget for fees/trips. No gloom and doom on my part as I'll budget and be involved. Am I happy, heck no but I'll keep doing what I love doing and that's fishing. If there are potential increases...well I'll look at it and go from there.

Finally, if ones wants to know besides attending one meeting get involved, ask questions and give back time and effort.

Unless ones involved, well there's 2 sides to all stories as I see it.

So what other recommendations would one provide.
[signature]
Just how bad is the access road? Is it passable w/o a high clearance vehicle and/or 4WD?
[signature]
Not that bad but if you were going too fast, it could throw your front end out of alignment. Certain sections are not bad, so you will start going at a faster speed, then all of a sudden you hit one of those bad spots and you have to slam on your brakes or risk damage.
[signature]
unfortunately the nice thing about the bad road was it kept the masses away. that place isnt like strawberry and can take alot of pressure. hope it goes well for lost. its in my prayers
[signature]
I was just at Porcupine Saturday (just looking, did not fish) and can confirm that the Wakeless sign is still posted at the Dam.

On a side note, has anyone ever had an issue launching a 16ft Tracker or similar boat at Porcupine. I've never been to the lake before Saturday, and was on a scouting trip to determine if I would be able to launch my boat or not.
[signature]
I've launched my old 19 ft trophy in the back when the water is up. Shouldn't be a problem for you. However there is no paved launch.
[signature]
Even with the road repairs Lost Creek is still a fairly remote water with not a ton of real estate to fish. I think the trend that will probably grow with the road being repair will probably an increase of recreational users in the "other" category more than fishermen.

The last couple of years there has been a noticeable increase in the number of kayakers and paddle boarders, and I gan only see those numbers jumping.

As I understand, the original purpose of the gate blocking off the upper section to the Deseret boundary was due to the inability to patrol the area, and there were all sorts of parties and illicit activities going on. I honestly have a hard time seeing re-opening the area for camping (and opening that gate in general) without a significant enough income flow to offset the cost of having a camp host on site, during at least the summer months.

The fishing has gotten marginally better over the years since the introduction of the slot limit, but honestly what is a Blue Ribbon fishery besides a fancy label? Asking for real...

My two cents worth. I am excited to see that road fixed, I just don't see the $ to bring back camping.
[signature]
i would honestly like to see lost creek put as artificial only. then managed as a trophy fishery.
[signature]
Lost Creek.

The article connected to Lost Creek is in the Morgan County News Paper. April 6th edition. Under BLUE RIBBON FISHERY ON THE WAY.

Just some highlights of the article:
The cost to pave the road, aprox 1.4 million.
Fees were discussed for after the road is paved.
Fees were discussed but the option is there.

Lets see....1.4 million mostly for use of people fishing the lake.
Morgan county has a responsibility to take care of the road and facility.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I found, and read, the article. Here is a link to it:[/#800000][/font] [url "https://morgannews.com/2018/04/09/blue-ribbon-fishery-on-the-way/"]Blue Ribbon Fishery on the Way[/url].

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]The article talks about an entrance fee being charged:[/#800000][/font]
Quote:In the contract with the DWR and county there can be an entrance fee charged. The cost to enter the reservoir will mitigate costs and bring revenue for other situations the county may need to address. The fee will come after the paving of the road is complete.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]No clear information there about how much the fee might be or who would collect/management it. We'll just have to wait and see.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."