Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PROVO RIVER /UTAH LAKE
HAS ANYONE BEEN FISHING THE RIVER FROM THE MOUTH UP STREAM TO SHACK YET THIS YR. IM THINKING SOME EYE'S MIGHT UP IN THERE. THANX FOR ANY INFO ALL. CROSSINEYE
[signature]
They might be. It's probably warmer than the water in the lake due to its movement. I'd give it another couple weeks though.
[signature]
Have you ever caught anything up as high as the shack???? I am assuming you are talking about the shack that is about 1 mile upstream from the state park entrance???

If there is something other than carp that high, I need to learn how to fish that section better, especially since I live within a 5 min bike ride from that shack/dam.

ES
[signature]
I would also be interested in any extra info about that section of the Provo. I am often in that area and would like to try fishing it but I don't know about access points, fish species, the likelyhood of catchng anytihing, etc. Does anyone have any expertise on the section(s) of the Provo that run through town and near Utah Lake? Thanks in advance.

m
[signature]
I know that this past summer the section between Geneva Road and the State Park was LOADED with carp. The kids (and I) had a blast messin' around with those monsters. Wonderbread work really well. There are a couple of places you can park. If you take 620 n (off Geneva road) and start to head west, you'll go through a housing subdivision. 620 dead ends onto Lakeshore Drive. Turn left on Lakeshore and that road will take you out into some fields along the Provo River trail.

There will be a parking lot about 3/4 mile west of the houses. That is smack in the middle between the houses and the marina.

Thats about all I know!

ES
[signature]
Hey Emuscud, yes, this stretch of the river can actually be very productive! In 2001 I saw lots of BIG browns down there, although it was very low water and they spook extremely easily.

In Mid-May, the white bass begin to head up the river. By the last few days in May they begin to spawn, and there are TONS of them that spawn right at the shack, and a few even head up higher than the shack and go all the way up to the next parking area.

Next to I-15, there is a pond adjacent to the river that has little tiny bluegill in it. There are also bluegill in the river just below the little "waterfall" by the freeway overpass. Yes there are always carp in the river in this stretch too. Last year was extremely bizarre because of the drought and all those carp choking the river. Usually there are relatively few carp that make their way up the river to cool off.

I don't think the walleye ever make it quite that far up the river to spawn (at the shack), but it's possible. Lots of people used to catch walleye in the river during the spawn until they closed it.

Also, one other thing. After the white bass spawn, most head back down into the lake. But I've also caught white bass in the provo river not too far downstream from the shack (in the deeper pools) even in mid- July. I think some of them just head up there because the water is a bit cooler than the lake.
[signature]
well if you havent fished up their you should do so. walleye's/ white bass/ browns/ o yes and carp.
[signature]
I guess I'll have to pull out TubeDudes baitbugs and see what happens. Thanks as always Cat_man!

See you on the water!
ES
[signature]
Thanks Crossineye! I've yet to test out some of those undercut banks, I keep thinking the shadows in the water there are just carp and so I haven't tried to really throw anything at them.

Later!

ES
[signature]
I go every couple weeks and fish from the mouth up to the second parking lot. Lots of carp in there. Last weekend me and my friend Brad fished the deep hole below the walk across bridge at the state park. Caught about twenty big carp. Mostly snagged but four or five had the hook in the mouth.
No Walleye, but I'm sure they are in there. That's why we keep going.

walleyebob
[signature]
hey, there are very very few browns left in there. The past two summers have been just too dry and too hot. I watched numerous dead browns floating around dead from heatstroke about July 1 each year. Even the white bass no longer spawn up the provo. Last year, I saw a grand total of 10 white bass during may and june. Years past they were in there by the thousands. I caught a grand total of only 2 white bass in the provo the whole year last year. Other years, I've averaged about 700-800 caught and released white bass per year. The walleye are about the only good fish that still go up this river during their spawn but the river will be closed to fishing by March 1 when they begin to gather in numbers.
[signature]
You may be right but I think this year with slightly better water conditions, the white bass will be there. I didn't go down there last summer but in 2002 I did and there were PLENTY of white bass spawning by the shack. Usually there is only about 1 week that they are there in extremely large numbers and if you miss it you really miss it. There should be more water this year so I bet there will be plenty of white bass spawning there.

Only time will tell I guess. I for one am going to give it a try this year for sure!

Good fishin!
[signature]
Thats a pretty good hole and one of the deepest when I took a boat ride up that channel with fish finder . I nailed a big crappie last fall with a number of big carp and some hooked in the lips there . I need to hook some walleye this year , so I hope to hit Utah lake more this year .
[signature]
The White Bass still use the provo they just didn't spawn near the shack like the year before. They were in a really tricky spot that you really had to wade in to be able to cast to them. I am sure it was because of the low water and the loads of carp that were there that made it tricky. As for the Browns they die every year but the ones up stream make it down to the deeper holes for some nice spring fishin.
[signature]
That's what I thought addict. There were a few years ago that there were practically no browns in that stretch, due to several years of extremely low water. Deer Creek is now required to have a certain minimum flow at least for the June Suckers for at least part of the year now, so it helps flush more browns down there.
[signature]