Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield - First trip for the year
I decided that there was a small window for decent weather this week. I stayed close to home and hit Scofield, I figured the ice has been off long enough for the fish to come out of hibernation.

I launched my tube on the south east side of the reservoir just after 8:00 and fished until 3:00 using a medium sinking line and various size 8 bead head soft hackles. The fishing was slow until about 10:30 when a midge hatch started coming off, after that the fishing was pretty steady the rest of the day. Most of the fish were cutthroats with a couple of brood stock rainbows thrown in. The cutthroats were all between 13" - 15" and in pretty good shape. The rainbows were 19" and, what can I say, brood stock.

The water temperature was 45-47 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 3'. The reservoir is 82% full and stable.

There were some anglers over on the walk-in-access area on the west side of the reservoir and that was the only other fishermen. There weren't any boats on the water either.

The weather went south on me around 2:30 with some light snow flurries and some wind so I packed it in. It was nice to be able to fish Scofield with out picking up a single chub.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Good report, Tom. Looks like some improvement in the overall ecosystem at Scofield.

I'll bet you feel badly because you couldn't catch any chubs for catfish bait. Ha.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Nice report and pics! Good to see TROUT coming out of Starvation.

Question, since you're armed with a fly rod... have you ever fished chironomids? They hatch every day on lakes from ice out until ice up. Between sunrise and ~10:30 (or whenever you saw them on the water surface or in the air), trout were cruising and gulping them by the hundreds. It's fast fishing sometimes (but different fishing), and incredibly reliable.

Check the bottom half of this link on BFT UT fly forum: http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread

And here's an introduction from the man himself (Brian CHan): http://www.sfotf.ca/blog/chironomid-tact...brian-chan

Tight lines!
[signature]
[quote TubeDude]

I'll bet you feel badly because you couldn't catch any chubs for catfish bait. Ha.
[/#0000FF][/quote]

Fear not there are plenty for the bait bucket in the stream below the dam.[Wink]

It is nice to see some improvement on Scofield. I think most of the improvement is because it has some water in it again.

I'm sure the only reason I didn't pick up any chubs is because of the water temperature.[:/]
[signature]
[quote Joe_Dizzy]

Question, since you're armed with a fly rod... have you ever fished chironomids? They hatch every day on lakes from ice out until ice up. Between sunrise and ~10:30 (or whenever you saw them on the water surface or in the air), trout were cruising and gulping them by the hundreds. It's fast fishing sometimes (but different fishing), and incredibly reliable.

Tight lines![/quote]

Thanks for the information.

I have seen Brian & Phil's stuff on Chironomid fishing and I know it's effective. I don't fish that way because I just don't like to stay put. I like to cover some water. Maybe when I start slowing down I'll go to it.[Wink]
[signature]
[quote gofish435]

Thanks for the information.

I have seen Brian & Phil's stuff on Chironomid fishing and I know it's effective. I don't fish that way because I just don't like to stay put. I like to cover some water. Maybe when I start slowing down I'll go to it.[Wink]

[/quote]

Definitely a different style of fishing. I usually carry two rods, one rigged floating w/ indicator (to start) and a 2nd w/ intermediate line for trolling buggers and such.

The former is about 100 times more effective for me, so maybe I need to take a page out of your playbook!
[signature]
[quote Joe_Dizzy]

Definitely a different style of fishing. I usually carry two rods, one rigged floating w/ indicator (to start) and a 2nd w/ intermediate line for trolling buggers and such.
[/quote]

Hey, if you start with the indicator and it's working, there is really no need to troll buggers, right?[Wink]

That is one of the great things about fishing, there are so many different ways to accomplish the task.

We all gravitate to the method we enjoy the best, even though in some cases it is not the most productive.[:/]
[signature]