Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cat fish bait question...
I got a really good deal on some Alaskan salmon fillets. From what i read it would be legal to use as bait. Has anyone ever tried it for cat fish? Also do you know if "pack bait" is legal to use for carp and cats in utah? Where its all one "ball" of bait i dont think it would be considered chumming, would it?
[signature]
I have never tried salmon. Think it would work give it a try and let me know. not sure what pack bait is. I think of chumming as any bait or pieces of being thrown out to attract fish. So as long as its on your hook I wouldn't see that as a chum
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
[#0000FF]Can't use trout or trout parts...except roe...in Utah. But salmon DOES get votes from kittykind. I can personally vouch for that. Had some silver salmon fillets that stayed too long (for my tastes) in the freezer after a trip north. Cut them into strips, with the skin on, and had a couple of bananner days.

Wouldn't advise the pack baits. Not sure if there has been an official ruling on it in Utah but anything that can be construed as chumming is likely to cost you some bucks if you get checked by an unforgiving CO. Not necessary in most cases anyway. If you can find the fish...and serve them something edible...they will take care of business.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Sounds good, I'll give the salmon a try and just avoid the pack bait. Thanks for the feed back!
[signature]
[#0000FF]If you can find big enough papers you might try smoking the pack bait. Don't inhale.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]